chapter 2

Chapter 2

I paced back and forth in front of the big glass window in the living room.

"Where are they?" I muttered.

"It's been eight hours!"

I was clearly pissed.

"I don't know," Alice cried.

"I can't see them.

Renesmee is with them!"

I was really starting to get worried. Edward, Renesmee and Emmett left at one this afternoon. It was nine now. Something was wrong; they'd never been this long before. I heard a small tinkling noise and looked down. Tiny little cyan beads were spread across the ground. I had been worrying so much I hadn't realized I'd been playing with my necklace. Now it was broken and strewn across the floor. I sighed; Edward gave that to me for our three year anniversary.

Would nothing go right tonight? I looked at Jasper rubbing Alice's back. She was worried too. She hated not knowing what was happening just as much as I did, except it was worse for her. I wasn't used to knowing everything before it happened. Rose stalked into the living room.

"I am going to kill Emmett when he gets back!"

"I know what you mean," I said agreeing with her.

I hated Renesmee going out hunting with them, and this wasn't making it any better.

"Except I'm going to kill Edward too." The phone rang and in a flash I picked it up from where it sat beside me.

"Hello."

"Hey," I heard Jake say from the other side.

He was breathing hard; he'd probably just been out running.

"Is everyone there?"

"No, why?" I asked, a note of concern in my voice.

Why would it matter if everyone was here?

"Who's not there?" He asked, concern now in his voice.

"Edward, Renesmee and Emmett, they went out hunting, why?" I was starting to panic even more now.

Why wouldn't he just tell me what was going on instead of being so evasive.

"Shit!" Jake muttered.

I new how protective he was over Renesmee, but he could care less about Edward or Emmett.

"When will they be back?"

"I don't know," I cried.

"They've been out since one, they should have been back a long time ago." I heard Jake swearing "What's wrong?" I cried. I heard him sigh.

"The woods reek of vampires of them—and it's not any of you. At least I can't smell any of you." My breathing stopped and panic overwhelmed me.

I sat down heavily on couch. I tried to speak, but I couldn't manage it. I was just to shocked and worried. All of a sudden the phone was whipped out of my hands. I looked at Alice. Of course everyone could hear what we'd been talking about.

"Jake, do you recognize the smell of any of them?" Alice asked into the phone she'd just taken from me. "

Yes, I remember one or two.

It's the Volturi as far as I can tell," I heard Jake say from what seemed like far away.

The Volturi were here.

While part of my family was out hunting! I felt like screaming in rage. They better not have touched them, they better not have hurt them.

"How many?" I heard Alice ask.

"At least twenty, maybe more," Jake replied. I dropped my head into my hands.

What were we going to do?"