Chapter 25: School's Out/1st Term

When the bell rang, the finals began.

Shiniko looked over all the questions before starting answering them one after another. The finals were like a review for her. As for the rest of the class, they were thinking hard and trying their absolute best.

When the results of the finals came in, everyone awaited for their scores.

"Without further ado," Koro-sensei opened the string tie envelope. "The English portion. First in E Class, oh-ho, first in the entire grade, Rio Nakamura and Shiniko Kuroshira!" The whole class cheered and Koro-sensei handed out the rest.

"Next is Japanese. First in E Class... Yukiko Kanzaki! But, I'm afraid the honor of first in the entire grade goes to... Shiniko! And A Class's Gakushu Asano. Still, you gave the principal's son a run for his money."

"Moving on to the next subject. In social studies, first in E Class goes to Yuma Isogai and Shiniko. As for first in the grade, dut dut da daa," His face had a circle on it, "You beat out Asano for top spot!"

"Right now, we're four to one!" Fuwa called out.

"First in E Class for science is, Manami Okuda and Shiniko! And, outstanding! You're also first for the grade!" Koro-sensei exclaimed, holding up the paper like it was Simba. The class exploded in cheers.

"That's six to one, guys!" Fuwa cheered

"Do we even need to hear who won for math? E Class killed it, no question!"

Everyone congratulated Okuda as she walked back to her desk.

When it came down to the last subject, mathematics.

"Finally, the last one, mathematics. First in E Class and the entire grade, Shiniko!" Koro-sensei cheered along with everyone else.

When Karma got his papers back, he was pissed. He stormed out the class to a nearby tree and crushed his papers. Koro-sensei went out after him, and Shiniko had to sneak her way over to see if he was alright.

"Never underestimate your target. Particularly, when it has a monopoly of grade point averages. The best scores in E Class went to Kataoka and Takebayashi, both admirably tied for seventh place. Shiniko, of course placed at the top of the grade. But never mind that, they studied hard. As of course did your opponents in A Class, which is to be expected. These finals were nothing to sneeze at, ones only chance was to study." Koro-sensei lectured.

"What're you tryin' to say, Teach?" Karma asked.

Koro-sensei stared to nitpick him, making Karma flustered and beet red since he was right. Koro-sensei soon had green stripes on  his face and was rubbing his tentacles on his head.Never in Shiniko's life has she ever saw Karma red in the face. Soon enough, Karma swatted his tentacles away and walked back to class.

"Hey, you think that was a bit harsh?" Karasuma asked.

"It had to be. How else would you expect him to spring back up? Koro-sensei cut him down for that sole purpose." Shiniko said.

"The boy's enormously talented, there's no denying that. But he's a novice, he has not yet learned how to be worthy of that talent. He refuses to meet any challenge expect on his own terms. He doesn't see the true value of competition. To a young person, for whom everything comes easily, the pain of defeat can be a much needed wake up call." Koro-sensei explained.

"On the surface, the whole concept of exams may seem arbitrary. But deep down, it's not about grades, it's rising to the occasion. It's  about tasting the rapture and triumph and disgrace of failure. They go hand in hand you see, one is meaningless without the other. To win, one has to lose. The difference between the novice and the master is that the master has failed more times than the novice has tried." Koro-sensei said.

Shiniko went back to the classroom, Karma still seemed infuriated about the whole situation. So, she got her ice cream out and offered it to Karma. He accepted it and took a few spoonfuls before handing it back.

The next day.

"Okie dokie class. A fine showing on the finals. You managed to snag the top spots for, gulp, all five subjects..." He said nervously since he was going to lose five tentacles. "Let's get this assassination attempt underway, shall we? The top four students can pick which ever tentacle they like."

"Hold up, octopus. What's this BS about us having the top five spots?" Terasaka asked.

"I believe all subjects have been accounted for. Um, English, science, social studies, um..." Koro-sensei said holding up five tentacles.

"Nice try. I don't think so. English, social studies, science, and let's not forget Home Ec. We aced them all, read 'em and weep." Terasaka placed the papers on his table as evidence. "If it was covered on the finals, it counts." 

"What do you know? The idiot pulled his weight. I'm proud of us." Hazama added.

"Not so fast! Home Ec is a blow off course!" Koro-sensei exclaimed trying to save his ass.

"You ask me? Home Ec is straight up one of the most important classes." Karma mentioned, the rest of the class cheering.

"Sensei, if it's alright with you, I won't take down your tentacles." Shiniko stated, "Yet." She added.

So now, the amount of tentacles the class get to destroy are seven, scaring Koro-sensei.

They had one final assembly before school was out for the summer. When A Class showed up, Terasaka started to tease the Big Five about there loss.

The assembly began.

"Vacation is no excuse for becoming lazy. Ugh... You, ugh, hmm. A few months of fun in the sun isn't worth landing in E Class." The school dean said looking over at E Class.

The normal chops didn't work this time, they were standing tall and proud.

When  the students got back to class, Koro-sensei gave them vacation guidebooks that were twice or even quadruple times larger than the ones he made for Kyoto.

Isogai told him that they will be taking out his tentacles in Okinawa. Koro-sensei admitted, he was a bit scared about the trip, seeing as it's an island surrounded by water. Then, he went on about the things they could do for summer vacation and soon class was dismissed.