Chapter 7: Secret Identies

The explosion made Hal throw his hands out suddenly in a desperate and fruitless effort to ward off the flames. However, to his great surprise, the explosion in the guard's hands stayed in a small orb, like a globe. Everyone stopped dead and stared.

Unsurprisingly, it was Art who recovered first. "Security box," he gasped out. "Now!"

The guard unfroze and ran for a small metal box. He flipped open the lid and tossed the still-frozen explosion into it. The instant he slammed the box closed, Hal felt a pull in his gut and the explosion was released. Inside the box, the explosion was controlled, and nothing happened.

However, Hal dropped to his knees, gasping for breath. It hadn't taken any effort until the flames had broken free from his control. That hurt. Diana put her hand on his shoulder, kneeling down beside him, and he wished she wouldn't. His skin burned and felt like it was on fire. Just the pressure of Diana's hand against his skin felt like she was rubbing salt water into an open wound.

Art crouched beside him, looking down at him with a small amount of concern. "You good, kid?" he asked.

Of course, Storm responded with some asperity. "Of course he's not 'good', Arthur, he opened his wound again!" She pointed at Hal's stomach. Sure enough, blood was leaking out of the injury, and it was as gross as it sounded.

Hal felt himself turning green. "This is disgusting," he gasped out.

Art managed a small laugh. "Very," he agreed. Then he glared at the guards. "Well? Are we clear to take him to the hospital, or do you want the kid to bleed out in front of you?"

The guard scowled. "You know the rules, Eagle. I had to delay you. You're clear, you lunatic. Now get the heck out of here so I can put some salve on my hands."

Storm sighed. "I'll help you," she told the guard. "Get going, Art, I'll meet you three later."

Hal remembered very little of their drive to the hospital. Blinding pain made him oblivious to everything but the agony. Diana sat beside him, not touching him after his original pain. Art drove silently and still rather crazily, which Hal thought was kind of sickening. At some point, he simply lost consciousness.

. . . . . . . . . .

It was about an hour later. Both Diana and Art had seen Hal safely to the hospital, and now they sat outside of the hospital. Diana was completely taken in by the beauty of Haven. All the buildings were made out of metal, the streets as well. It was the size of a city, lights dotting all around. The sky was a stunning collection of a galaxy image, not the ocean Diana had thought it would be. People walked around, talking and laughing. "This place is amazing," she said.

Art smiled at her awe. "It is, isn't it?" he commented. "It's been my home for quite a few years now. The globe keeping the water out is engineered to look like the galaxy. It's gorgeous. There's enough oxygen in here to last for several hundred years, and it keeps getting circulated. This is the only place we can really call home."

She turned a smile back to him, but he looked unhappy, thoughtful. Whatever he was thinking of, she decided it would be better not to pry. She had to work on self-control with reading people's minds, otherwise it would just make them uncomfortable.

After a few minutes of silence, Art turned to her again. "I guess it's time to get you inducted," he said. He stood and helped her to her feet. "Let's go see Guardian."