The Best Daughter

Christmas Eve. A time for families to be together in a crowd. Something Maeson didn't like. She didn't do too well in crowds. Especially family. Her house was packed with aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, and Jonah. Kids were everywhere, she couldn't escape them. She hadn't told anyone about her surprise for tonight and the time was nearing. After a few days of reviewing everything and going through a few procedures that she knew like the back of her hand she was going to pick up her did for the night. He didn't know either. It was his early present.

The whole family was going to crowd the hospital tomorrow but to avoid disasters the doctors agreed to have her dad go home for the holidays. Not even Mikey knew about this. She had to find a way to be discreet about leaving. She couldn't use the store excuse because someone would want something or want to go. She could use the last minute present gig but it's still shopping. Maybe she'll be vague about where she was going.

Maeson looked around her before she stood up. No one paid attention to her but attention was sure on her when she grabbed her coat and slipped on her boots. Shouts about where she was going came from most everyone's mouth causing her to freeze.

"Out, I have something I need to do." She rushed before grabbing her purse to slip out the door She ran to her car, slipping on the ice different times. By the time she had reached her car the front door opened. Jonah stood there, blocking most light from inside the house. She got into her car with ease before locking her doors. He walked forward to her car so she rolled down the window a smidge.

"Where are you going this late?" He asked, shoving his hands under his arms. He didn't bother putting on a coat before leaving the house. She was tempted to say she had a late night booty call.

"Please, make sure everyone's in bed or gone in about two hours. Not even you can be there. Please, for me." She said in a rush, not waiting for his answer before driving of slowly since she didn't want to crash.

The girls mind ran into overdrive as she neared the close by hospital. It was almost midnight. She knew that the hospital visiting hours were over but the staff knew that she was coming in to take her dad. They had said that they were going to try to keep it from him as well as keep him awake.

She parked her car, grabbing her overstuffed purse. Maeson had put a pair of her dad's warmest clothes in her purse the previous day. She turned off her car but didn't bother to lock it before she ran inside. She was careful not to slip as she made her way inside. Through the process she had gotten to know some staff around here the last few days so she briefly nodded at them before she went to the elevator, not bothering to stop for any reason. Her palms were sweaty by the time she reached her dad's room.

As soon as she knocked she could hear him groan loudly. "Of for fucks sake, can't a guy get any sleep around here?" She ignored him as she opened his door. The room was softly lit so she could see her dad.

"Mae-Bey?" He asked, now sitting up. "What are you doing here, visiting hours are closed."

"I'm breaking you out for the night." She said, now coming into the room. She turned on the lights and shut the door behind her.

"W-what?" Her dad said, his eyes wide.

"I'm taking you home for Christmas." She said, pulling out warm clothes for him from her purse.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asked. She looked the time on her phone that read five minutes past midnight.

"Merry Christmas daddy." She told him as he slipped on the clothes with tears shining in his eyes.

"I knew there was a reason you were my favorite daughter." He told her as he now stood up. She steadied him with her arms and led him out of the room. Maeson rolled her eyes, she was his only daughter.