The Possible Lie

As Maeson finished wrapping all her gifts she let out a heavy sigh before falling back on her bed. Five days. Christmas was in five days.

In time, she got up to put the presents in the corner of her closet but some spilled out so she put them under her bed. She had bought more things over the last few days for everyone but made sure not to buy anything more for herself. Maeson had to remind herself that she would have to bring it back home to Chicago.

The lazy girl felt tiredness creep up in her bones but she shoved it aside to take a shower. It was the best way to wake her up. She showered and changed into a thin loose gray t-shirt and black jeans that were ripped at the knees. She debated on putting on a tank top under her loose shirt because her black bra but she decided against it and left her room.

The house was already decorated for Christmas. It was her mom's favorite holiday. Maeson would admit that her favorite holiday was St. Patrick's Day, if that counted. She could always find time to have a drink here or there. The rails on the stairs were wrapped with tinsel as were the linings of the ceiling where it met the wall. The smell of Christmas was in the air. She couldn't describe the smell but it was so winter-y. There was a real tree in the corner of the living room that she knew they weren't going to use. They were all going to open gifts in the hospital with her dad. Or if she convinced the hospital she could be able to slip her dad out for the day.

She could hear animated laughter as she neared the kitchen but it didn't die down even after they seen her. They continued. Jonah, her brother, her mom, and the twins were in the room. But she didn't pay any mind to them but she did briefly make eye contact with Jonah and narrowed her eyes on him. She turned to the coffee pot and made herself a cup in the biggest cup she could find. Maeson was dead tired and not ready to face the day. Her hair kept getting in her face as she looked down to stir her coffee so she tied the top part back.

Sipping her coffee, she turned and lent against the counter with both hand on her mug. Her light blue eyes happened to glance up at everyone. The three adults looked at her while the two kids continued playing with their dolls.

"So, do you know?" Mikey asked. Maeson only raised her eyebrows in mock questioning before she slowly turned to walk out of the room. No one followed her though. She sat on the couch and relaxed her body against the cushion, molding herself in. Leaning her head back she let out a quiet sigh that turned into a yawn.

Seconds turned to minutes. Minutes turned into painful silence. There was no more chatter from the kitchen besides the girls with their dolls. She felt the couch dip, causing her body to lean to the side, not ready for the sudden weight. Her eyes widened in panic as she looked at her Jonah.

"You know, right?" He asked. "Do you remember? Mike told me you went through yearbooks." His voice quiet but loud enough to pierce through her body. She wasn't one to hold grudges so she didn't care if he picked on her when she was small. She could lie and say she hated him but it would be just that. A lie. She could be truthful and say that she didn't hate him, but she could try to hold off that she knew who he was. She could toy with him. Call him Jeff. Or call him by his last name only.

"Okay, Malarkey." She said causing him to tense up. She rolled her head to look at him, still leaning her head back on the cushion. His hazel eyes looked into her blue eyes with nervousness.

"But which one am I?" He asked, now skeptical that she didn't know which one he was.

"A girl doesn't reveal all her secrets in one night." She grinned, closing her eyes again. He groaned and threw his head back, sinking his body on the couch.

"You are a piece of work, Maeson Jones." He repeated himself from a couple days ago.

"All the best people are." Was all Maeson said as she lifted her head to take a large sip of her coffee. Coffee was her version of the nectar of the gods. Besides alcohol. No matter what time it was she could always go for a drink or two. Or ten.

When her coffee was finished she left her empty cup on the table as she put on her winter coat and a pair of black shoes.

"You might want to dress warmer." Jonah commented, now looking at her.

"I should be fine." She said before she left. But as she opened the door she seen something she had never seen here in her hometown. There was snow. Actual snow. The ground was littered with white flakes causing it to shimmer like crystals.

Maeson closed the door and took off her shoes and coat. Maybe it wasn't the best time to go out.

*

*

I finished writing this story literally a week after I finished writing Charming Charlie... That was in September tbh. Fun fact no one cared for.

Date: December 18, 2017