Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I laid on top of my bed, staring at the wall beside it.

I was tired, believe me. But I couldn’t bring myself to sleep. Not when I knew I would only dream of that day.

Somehow I couldn’t clearly remember what had happened that day, however, every night when I closed my eyes, I saw it clearly, as if it had been just yesterday.

I could remember pieces right after waking up, but then it would all fade away, and come back again when I closed my eyes.

I flinched when I heard voices outside my door, before hearing it open.

‘Yeah we’ll see about that tomorrow Jess!’ I heard a girl say before closing the door.

I turned around in my bed, sitting up, startled.

‘Oh! You’re here. Sorry, did I wake you up?’ The petite olive skinned brunette stranger said.

I shook my head, redirecting my gaze towards the floor.

‘I’m Marissa, but everyone calls me Mars. What’s your name?’ She said sitting up at the end of my bed.

I raised my eyes and opened my mouth, wanting to answer her back, but closed it once I felt I couldn’t.

I sighed, returning my gaze to the floor, feeling pathetic and embarrassed.

‘Hey.. It’s ok. Whatever you’re going through. It will be ok. Don’t sweat it.’ I heard Marissa, or Mars say, making me raise my head and meet her warm smile. ‘For now, I’ll call you roomie.’ She said with a wink, standing up and walking to her dresser.

‘So.. roomie, how do you find The Ol’ St Jude’s? It’s creepy right? She said taking off her top and replacing it with an oversized tshirt.

I nodded averting my gaze, feeling uncomfortable with staring at her while she so boldly changed in front of me.

‘Well don’t worry, it’s all bark but no bite. This place is as pure as a church.’ She said and I could her her throwing what sounded like shoes around the room.

‘Anyways, can I see your schedule?’ She asked walking towards me, now wearing a pair of yoga pants and an oversized tshirt.

I nodded, standing up and walking towards my dresser.

I felt a chill run up my bare legs, only covered by boy shorts and my oversized guns and roses t-shirt.

The only thing apart of my Yankees hat that I had left of my father.

The same father that I loved, despite his abandon.

I took the page I printed from my email before coming here and handed it to her.

‘Let’s see…’ I heard her mutter as her hazel eyes skimmed through the page. ‘Camilla Evans’ She gave me a smile. ‘Oh you have Dr. Rivers, she’s really nice.’ She said smiling at me before returning her gaze to the page. ‘We have Group Therapy together!’ She exclaimed with a huge smile. ‘Dr. Anderson is really funny, you’ll see!’ She skimmed through the paper once again. ‘We have different study halls, but.. oh!’ She said with a mischievous glint to her eyes. ‘You have Sean for Health.’ She said with a wink.

I must’ve given her a questioning gaze cause she continued explaining herself.

‘He’s super handsome. Tall, nice frame, with a set jaw and mesmerizing green eyes.’ She sighed dreamily. ‘And he’s only 25.’ She smiled as if it was good news. ‘He’s Mrs. O’ Connors grandson, so I guess that makes him completely off limits..’ She trailed off with a sad look before replacing it with her normal cheerful face. ‘But oh well, doesn’t mean we girls can’t drool after his good looks right?’ She winked handing me back my schedule.

I saw her jump on top of her bed, and turn staring at me. ‘I don’t know what happened to you.. or why you’re here.’ She began ‘ But know that it will get better. I promise.’ She assured me with a smile. ‘ And when it does, know you have a friend here, who’s all ears.’ She smiled turning off the lights and getting under the covers.

‘Goodnight Camilla’ I heard her cheerful voice say.

It’s Mila, I thought.

Goodnight Mars, was my last thought before getting under the covers and falling into a restless sleep.