Speak Now, Part 4 (Jughead x Reader)

You strolled with Jughead down the sidewalk of one of the most expensive shopping districts in Greater Riverdale

You strolled with Jughead down the sidewalk of one of the most expensive shopping districts in Greater Riverdale. The streets were lined with finely manicured trees and each shop was either a fancy boutique, café, or bakery. Wealthy women with large sunglasses walked their tiny dogs along the street, glaring at you and Jughead like white blood cells targeting bacteria.

"Do you come here often?" You asked with a skeptical heightening in your voice.

Jughead chuckled. "Oh, God, no. Betty and Veronica love it here, though. And when Betty wants the best, she gets it." He winked good-naturedly, opening the door to the tux shop. The bell on the door dinged as it opened.

You entered the store, Jughead following. Mannequins stood on platforms of varying heights, wearing tuxedos in the latest and greatest styles, alongside some classic ones.

"So is it going to be the silver, or the powder pink?" You joked, picking up the sleeves of one with two fingers.

"If there's one thing I get in this whole wedding thing, it's that I get to wear black." Jughead quipped back. The old man standing behind the counter handed him a swath of black fabric sheathed in clear plastic.

"Please try it on so that we are sure you are satisfied with your fitting," the salesperson wheezed, gesturing to a fitting room.

Jughead headed to the fitting room, stopping. "You okay with a few minutes without me?" He joked.

"Yeah, of course," you said, voice shaking.

Weirdly enough, you weren't even sure anymore.

After maybe ten minutes, the curtain to the fitting room slid open, and Jughead emerged. He'd removed his trademark beanie, slicking his hair to the side. A classic, well-fitted black tux covered his body. He strode over to you, a kind smile on his face.

"Maybe I'm gonna like this monkey-suit thing," Jughead said with a laugh, spinning around.

"Looks great, Mr. Jones!" The salesperson cheered, applauding.

Jughead turned towards you. "What do you think, (Y/N)?"

All of a sudden, it became too much. Seeing Jughead so mature, so handsome, it became all too clear that you weren't kids anymore. That he was growing up. And in a way, he was growing up without you.

Even so, you were proud. So, so proud. And so, so, so in love with him.

Tears began to stream from your eyes. "Shit," you said, covering your face with an embarrassed laugh.

Jughead's expression changed. "Oh, Little Lightning Bug," he murmured. He kneeled down next to you, cupping your face in his hand.

'Little Lightning Bug' was your slightly embarrassing nickname, only to be invoked in the most serious times (otherwise, to be punished with death).

You rubbed your eyes. "I'm sorry, I don't know why this is happening." You knew fully well why this was happening.

The salesperson handed you a tissue. "Don't worry, Miss. It's normal for brides-to-be to get emotional upon seeing their handsome groom."

Your mouth dropped open, horrified. "Oh, I'm not the bride-to-be, Sir."

"My apologies," the salesperson replied, rubbing the back of his neck.

Jughead also laughed, embarrassed. "She's beautiful enough to be," he said with a smile. You smiled back. "There's my girl. Let me change so we can get out of here."

He stood and returned to the fitting room. The salesperson gestured you over.

"If you want to do something, Miss, you need to do it soon," he warned in a whisper.

"What are you talking about?" You said, raising an eyebrow.

"I see the way you look at him," he said. "I've seen weddings after weddings. That's a look of true love."

You blushed. "He's marrying someone else."

He shrugged. "I've seen the way he looks at you."

"And?"

"Fates like these can still be changed, if you act fast," he said cryptically.

The curtain slid open, and you turned to look as though you were closely examining the nearby tuxedo, the salesperson moving to complete the payment slip.

Jughead paid for the tuxedo, looking visibly distraught over the price.

"Let's go, (Y/N)," he said with a grin. "I know just how to cheer you up."

The two of you headed towards the door.

"Have a good day!" The salesperson called. "Especially you, Miss."

You looked back to him peculiarly, and he winked.

"Act fast," he mouthed.

You turned towards Jughead, hurrying out of the door.