Speak Now, Part 5 (Jughead x Reader)

Betty slung her duffel over her shoulder, slightly tilting under its weight

Betty slung her duffel over her shoulder, slightly tilting under its weight. A large roller-bag stood beside her. "I left some dinners in the fridge."

As Betty came from a traditional family, her mother insisted she spend some time before the wedding sleeping under a different roof than that of her husband-to-be. Jughead had expressed surreptitious relief at that, knowing that Betty's stress (and her taking it out on him) would only rise until they said "I do".

You watched as Jughead kissed Betty goodbye, awkwardly twiddling your fingers in the corner. You were grateful that Betty had allowed you to stay even though she was moving out (she was a bridezilla for sure, but she wasn't the kind of monster to kick you out onto the street), but nervous of the prospect of being alone with Jughead overnight. Something about what you were trying to do here seemed... wrong.

The last two weeks with Jughead had been an absolute blast. After that incident at the tux shop, he made it a mission to make sure you were having as much fun as possible during your time back home at Riverdale, as it also served as hearty distraction between himself and the quickly approaching wedding day. You tried all the specials at Pop's, visited all the old hangouts, and even got in touch with some of your old high school friends as they returned to town for the special occasion.

It was perfect. Well, it could have been. If Jughead wasn't about to marry another girl.

"The house to ourselves!" You cheered, sprawling out on the now-cleaned couch. "What do you want to do first? Movie night? Pizza party? How about both?" You waved your phone in his direction, him knowing well you had the delivery hotline on speed-dial.

"I'd love to," Jughead said sheepishly. "But I have a mission tonight."

"Ooh, a mission with Jughead Jones," you said, waggling your eyebrows. "How fun."

"It's more of a solo mission, to be honest," Jughead said, fumbling around in the bag he had brought from the bedroom. He fished out his trademark laptop. "I need to write my vows."

You visibly deflated at his words. "Oh." Even with Betty out of the house, it seems she would still be the ruler of Jughead's life. It was time you started getting used to it.

Jughead's eyes lit up. "You're a great writer, (Y/N). Will you help me?"

You paled. Help the love of your life write his vows to be with another girl until death do them part?

You swallowed. "Sure, Jughead. Anything for you."

You made room for him on the couch and he flopped down next to you, slinging and arm around your shoulders. You hid a growing blush.

He opened his laptop, pulling up a word processor. "Hmm, let's brainstorm first things about mine and Betty's relationship and then we can put it in a good order and polish up the wording."

You shrugged, shoulders heavy with the weight of Jughead's arm. "I don't really know anything about you and Betty." You let the bitterness of not being told seep through your voice.

"Oh yeah," Jughead said, face darkening in embarrassment. "Well you can still help! I'll bounce ideas off of you and tell me if they're sappy enough to make Betty cry."

You nodded silently, suddenly very interested in the paint chips on the far wall.

Jughead fished out a pen and played with it between his teeth as he thought–an old habit. He picked it from his mouth like a cigarette. "Hmm... how about 'I vow to always be the first thing you see when you wake up, and the last thing you see when you go to bed?'"

Your mind suddenly flashed with images of waking up next to Jughead, and falling asleep to the sound of his breathing. You shook them away. "Too general."

"Ah, you're right." He played with the pen some more. "How about... I'll always give you shelter in the rain?"

You remember walking home with Jughead many times in high school, crouching under his battered umbrella for cover. Why this for Betty?

He must have noticed your confused expression, when he explained, "After you went to college, Betty and I first started talking when I saw her walking home one night in the rain. She'd forgotten her umbrella so I lent her mine, the broken old thing and I walked her all the way to her house next to Archie's. She was so grateful she bought me a new one." He laughed at the memory.

You smiled at his nostalgia, even if it hurt you inside. Walks home in the rain used to be your special thing. "That sounds like a lovely thing to vow, Jughead." He grinned and typed it down.

He was on a roll now, listing off a few other memories from his and Betty's relationship. You were able to detach yourself from the situation and be happy for him, even laugh at some of the stories he had to tell. He and Betty seemed to have had the classic high school sweetheart romance.

"I've got it!" Jughead said, the way he always did when he had a brilliant idea. "I will always let you edit my writing."

You froze, eyes widening. "What?"

As Jughead's best friend, you were the only one in his life who was permitted to read and edit his writing. Even then, it took years before he'd even let you look at it. To hear Betty had even taken that role in his life was heartbreaking. Your face went pale, the fantasies of you and Jughead's future crashing down around you. You bit back tears.

"(Y/N), I can explain–" Jughead stammered, noticing your distress.

You stood, hands shaking. "I need some air. Please leave me alone, Jughead."

As you turned away, you caught a sliver of Jughead's distraught, self-deprecating scowl. You left his apartment, shutting the door behind you.

Turning on your cell phone, you dialed a number that was both long-forgotten but well-remembered.

You felt hot tears warming your face in the night. "Hey, Archie. Yeah, it's me. Can you come get me?"