12. Hello and Goodbye

Everyone froze, as if scared that any noise would cause him to close those brown eyes again, to return to his state. Fred's eyes darted around, looking at his twin before turning to Addie. His lips slowly slid back into a smile. "Miss me?"

That was all it took for the tears to start rolling. They slid down Addie's cheeks, unstoppable.

"Hey now," Fred said softly, attempting to sit up to comfort her, but he quickly realized that wasn't a good idea and he head fell back onto his pillow. "Don't cry," he said, his hand moving slowly to hold hers, pulling her closer. "I'm here now."

This only made her cry harder.

She heard Molly mutter, "Maybe we should give them a minute. We'll have all the time in the world later," before ushering everyone out. And as soon as they left, Addie fell onto the bed beside him, curling into his chest. His arm tightened around her waist, holding her there, and the small movement nearly tore her apart. She had wondered for so long if this would even be possible, if he would ever be able to hold her, to look at her, to talk to her. And having it now, after so long, was almost too much.

She wrapped her arms around his body, holding onto him tightly, as if scared he would disappear if she let go.

Fred's other hand came up, stroking her hair softly. "Shh," he mumbled into her hair. "It's okay. I'm here now. I'm right here."

She nodded, attempting to compose herself. She hesitantly removed an arm from around him and wiped away her tears.

"I thought you were gone for good," she mumbled. "I was so scared."

Fred reached up, his thumb brushing away a stray tear. His eyes, the ones Addie had missed so much, the ones she was now convinced were the most beautiful eyes in the world, traced the lines of her face, as if memorizing them. "You don't need to be scared anymore," he told her. "I'm here now."

"But Thomas-"

"Shh," Fred said. "Let's not worry about all that right now, okay?"

Addie nodded.

Fred attempted to lift his head again, but quickly decided it was better on the pillow. "I'm a pathetic excuse for a human at the moment," he said, smiling slightly. "I really hope this is temporary."

Addie smiled. "At least your arms work," she said, loving the way they were still wrapped around her.

"I'm sure my lips do too," he said mischievously.

Addie leaned in, pressing her lips to his. "Yep," she said. "They definitely still work."

"I'm sure there's other parts of me that work, too," he said, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

"You've been awake for five minutes, and that's what you're thinking of?" 

Fred thought about it. "Pretty much, yeah." 

"I'm just going to ignore that," she said.

"Me too," said George, slipping into the room and shaking his head. "I leave you two alone for a few minutes and this is what I come back to? Absolutely disgusting," he said cheekily. "I'm glad I came in and not mum!"

"It was just a kiss!" Addie protested.

"But who knows what it could have been if I would have waited seconds longer!" George said dramatically, shaking his head.

"Apparently we can get a lot done in a couple of seconds," Fred said to Addie, shrugging.

"I don't think you're going to be doing too much anytime soon," she countered.

Addie was so happy to be able to banter like this again. She leaned down and kissed him again, not caring that George was watching. "I love you."

"I love you too, Addie."

"We should probably let your family come in and see you," she said, leaning in to give him another kiss and ignoring George's overdramatic gagging noises at the sight of it.

"Probably," Fred said begrudgingly.

"I'll tell them to come up," she said, unable to resist leaning down and kissing him one more time.

She didn't have to go far to find them. All of the Weasley's were waiting out in the hallway. Molly pounced on Addie the second she stepped out. "How is he?" she asked, peering in at her son. "Does he seem okay?"

"Why don't you go see yourself?" Addie suggested, and they all rushed in. She could hear them trying to talk over each other, asking too many questions for Fred to possibly answer. Addie decided to leave the family alone, to let them have their moment. She wandered downstairs, her mind on food, but she bumped into Farah on the second landing. She was standing awkwardly, looking like she wasn't sure where she was going or what she should be doing now.

"Don't you want to say hello?" Addie asked. "I'm sure Fred would love to thank you for all you did for him."

Farah shook her head. "That's alright, he needs time with you and his family right now." She paused. "I was actually waiting for you," she said, a little awkwardly.

"What's up?"

"Well, Fred's awake and well, so I'm done my part of the deal..." she let the sentence trail off awkwardly.

"Oh! Of course!" Addie reached into her pocket, grabbing the small bag that held the Resurrection Stone. She pulled it out a little reluctantly, but a more driving force, that of the Unbreakable Vow, drew her forward.

Farah held out her hand expectantly.

Addie placed the wrapped Stone in Farah's hand, and the effects were immediate. An indescribable pressure released from her, and she felt more free than she had in months. She hadn't realized at the time the way the Unbreakable Vow had been a part of her. But with both ends of the deal done, the Vow had left them both. Looking at Farah, Addie knew she felt it too.

"So now that its yours," Addie said. "I need to know. What are you going to do with it?"

Farah smiled grimly. "I have to make some amends." She didn't say anything more and Addie didn't ask.

The two girls stood awkwardly, not sure what to say next.

"I...I guess this is goodbye," Addie finally said. "Thanks...for everything."

Farah smiled. "You know where to find me."

She turned to leave, but Addie stopped her, pulling her newfound friend in for a hug. It took Farah a few seconds, but eventually she hugged Addie back. And then she was slipping out of Addie's arms and down the stairs. Addie heard the crack of apparition, and she was gone.