Chapter 5

This means War

Jason's *Pov*

When I saw her I was stunned into silence. I mean I always envisioned what I would say to her. If I would lash out on her, give her the cold shoulder, but when I stared into those hazel eyes, I got lost. They looked different somehow, more sad. I planned on speaking to her again, but the bell rung and the choir teacher made us get up, and move. He told us to clean up the choir room for him. We worked in complete silence, not saying a word. There were so many things I wanted to tell her, so much emotion, which was better left unsaid. I sighed she didn't even remember me; maybe I should keep it in the dark. Maybe we can start over, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but give her a second chance.

I looked up from my mop, and to her. "So you're new huh, where did you come from?" I asked her trying to make conversation.

She was silent for awhile, and then she looked up to me. "If you're here to persuade me to join Claire, then the answers no." She said with a serious face.

"What?" I asked, join Claire, what is she talking about?

"Never mind." She said with the shake of her head, her black hair shinning in the dim light. Then I remembered why I fell for her in the first place. She began to notice I was staring so I cleared my throat, and simply said. "So, why'd you move?"

Arin's *Pov*

I paused for a minute, and looked up from the wooden floor I was scrubbing. I sighed everyone was asking me this. I felt comfortable telling him though, or at least part of the truth.

"My parents." I said with grief.

"Wh...What happened to Mrs. C, and Mr. Anthony?" He asked concerned.

Wait only one person called them that, "how did you know their names?" I asked this was just plain weird.

He opened his mouth to answer when Claire and her posse appeared. One face in particular stood out though. Auden, it was her, I could not believe it, just my luck.

She immediately ran to give him a hug. "Hey snookems, I've been looking all over for you!" She said in an obnoxious voice. Ugh, I just really disliked this girl. The worst part about it was that she reminded me of me when I was top of the school.

"Oh hey Arin, see you tomorrow at school, I'll be waiting in the car okay." she said.

"You go on ahead Claire I'll be there in a bit." Jason told her. He waited for her and her posse to leave then he walked up to me.

"Hey look if you ever need someone to talk to I'm there okay." He pulled out a piece of paper, and began writing his number on it. "Here that's my number feel free to text me." He said, and before I could say anything he walked off.

I stared at the number; I was in such a daze I didn't even hear the click of heels coming towards me.

"Look Claire obviously likes you, and wants you in the clique. I think she's completely wrong, and you have no clique potential. I'm just here to tell you to watch your back, I'm Claire's beta, and that's the way I want it to stay. Oh, and you won’t be needing this he's taken!" She whispered in a harsh tone. She snatched it from my hands tore it up, and threw it in my face.

At that moment I wanted to beat the Barbie out of her. My knuckles were locked, and I thought about swinging, but my parents. What would they say, what would they think, they'd be disappointed. I unclenched my knuckles, and watched as she walked off.

I walked home by myself my feet were aching, and I was tired. Once I got home I slammed the door behind me, and ran up to my room. Today was a long day; I sat on my day bed, and looked out the window. I noticed Jason in his backyard playing basketball, with his shirt OFF! He was really cute, I was totally drooling over him, and he ruined the moment by looking over at my window. I ducked my head, and acted like I wasn't totally checking him out.

Okay let's act like that never happened. I shook my head, mentally erasing the embarrassing moment. There was a knock on the door, "hey Arin do you want to go down to Average Joe, and get some smoothies?" Zoe asked. Perfect way to take my mind off of things, "sure."

I threw some clothes on which was so unlike me. I had on a purple hoodie, and some true religion jeans, and black converse. Once I figured out how cold it was down in Chicago I ditched anything that showed too much skin. It was way too windy for all that.

I hopped down the stairs, and out the door, and thank goodness Aunt Marie let us use her car. "So how was your first day?" Zoe asked. "Could've been better, but I'll survive I'm a De La Rosa." I said with pride. "Yea and getting detention on the first day nice way to make an impression Arin." Zoe teased. I play shoved her, "hey that's not fair I'm driving, now get out." She said in a more serious tone. I looked at her, "no really we're here." She giggled.

We walked into Average Joe; it seemed like the teen hangout. A pop-punk band was playing, and the atmosphere was cozy, and warm. We decided to take a seat next to the fireplace. Oh, and just my luck the one person, correction four I didn't want to see were here. "Hey Arin come over her." They waved me over, but I ignored them.

"Looks like you've made some new friends." Zoe said with a raise of her eyebrow. "We're not they're trying to get me to join their clique, but I don't wanna." I shrugged. "You can join them if you want I don't want to hold you back." Zoe said looking down. "Zoe you think I'd ditch you for dumb, dumb, and dumber?" I asked. That got a laugh out of her; soon Claire, Auden, Beth, and Mia were standing in front of me.

"Hey didn't you see us?" Claire asked.

"Uh yea." I replied in a duh voice.

"Then why didn't you come over." Auden snapped.

"It almost seemed like you were ignoring us." Beth pouted.

"Maybe because I was." I said.

"Oh." Beth said. Wow she was an idiot; I rolled my eyes, and looked back at Zoe.

"Look twit we're giving you a chance to be popular so you won't have to hang out that freak!" Claire shouted. Zoe just looked down obviously hurt. "I told you she wasn't clique potential." Auden whined. "Look Kuh Laire, that girl has a name, and her name is Zoe! I don't want anything to do with you, or your stupid posse! So you and your 'posse' can walk out with your heads held in shame, and leave me and Zoe alone! Want me to dumb it down for you?" I was pushed to the edge by this woman, and the rude Arin was set loose.

They all stood with their mouth hanging open. "Oh no...” Auden began, but she was cut off as Claire held her hand out to silence her. "No you LOOK Arin, you caused this upon yourself can't say I didn't warn you. You better sleep with one eye open." and just like that they left.

I turned to Zoe who was shaking her head. "What have you done?" She exclaimed.

That was the day I unknowingly declared war upon Claire Linden.