Chapter 12

"You're much lighter than I expected," Kitaya said.

Aldeheid remained quiet, unsure if that was an insult or not. The pain in his foot had subsided to a dull throb, and Kitaya's shoulder digging into his stomach was enough to distract from it. He hadn't been carried around since he was boy, and while his memories of that time were foggy, he was sure it hadn't felt so demeaning back then.

If Mellidius could see him now... he'd die of laughter, and Aldeheid would never hear the end of it. To say this was a blow to his pride would be an understatement. Magicians were supposed to carry capes on their shoulders, not the other way around, damn it.

But Aldeheid wasn't going to complain out loud, even though both his body and pride were hurting. He was already being a burden, and whining would only make him sound ungrateful.

They were halfway to the southern rise and he wanted nothing more than for this day to be over. Or to at least not be draped over Kitaya's shoulder with his arms and legs dangling like wet noodles.

"Didn't Mellidius teach you how to fall?" Kitaya asked. She had his sword in her free hand, spinning and twisting it like a staff.

"Why would he? Falling is something that should be avoided altogether. And doing so off of a horse would hurt either way." There was an edge to his voice that he immediately regretted.

Kitaya didn't seem to notice it, or care. "True. But one of us is walking, and the other is being carried like a sack of grain." Her voice was somewhere between thoughtful and bemused, carrying a musical lilt that made it sound as though she were teasing him.

But that fact that she didn't seem annoyed gave Aldeheid pause. Had the situation been reversed he probably wouldn't mind carrying her on his shoulders. Maybe even as a cape. He gave himself an internal slap. Remember your promise, idiot.

"It makes me wonder," Kitaya was saying. "Why did Mellidius take you as his apprentice?"

Aldeheid had been wondering the same for a long time. Whenever he'd ask, Mellidius would simply laugh at him. "He never said, even when I asked. I suppose he felt sorry for me."

Kitaya snorted. "I highly doubt that. The Mellidius I know doesn't do pity."

"I suppose."

They lapsed into silence and stayed that way until they reached the base of the southern rise. Kitaya stared up at it, and took several breaths, as though she were bracing herself for the climb. Aldeheid stayed relaxed, wondering if there was anything he could do to make this easier for her.

She took long strides up the steep incline, still managing, somehow to keep him balanced on her shoulder. Her grip tightened around his middle and her arm dug into his side. But by the time they got to the top, she was huffing with exhaustion.

"I'm going to put you down now." She eased him onto the grass before wiping the sweat from her brow, then dropped his sword beside him and turned away.

"Thanks. And I apologize for this." Aldeheid stretched his injured foot, wincing when a jolt of pain shot up his leg. He would've offered her his canteen of water but like the idiot he was, he'd left it in one of the saddle bags. It was times like this when he couldn't help but think how much better things would be if he had a cape. If he wasn't such an incompetent louse. If he didn't ruin everything he touched.

"Stop with the sulking," Kitaya said, enunciating every syllable of every word. She was in a crouch a few feet away, scanning the terrain below them. "Put those pretty little eyes to use and help me find my horses."

He blushed. "Right."

Like she'd said, the entire plateau was in their sights. The grassy terrain sloped down to a verdant field dotted by trees and shrubbery. Far to the south, the shadow of a structure stretched up the sky. The only movement his eyes caught were those of small animals, hares and wild boar. The midday sun beat down on them, and a warm gale made the grass dance around their feet.