Chapter 9

We walked down the stairs into the dining hall still laughing from all of the puns we've been spouting. Siriusly, we used so dam many puns in one sentence its not even punny anymore. We sat at a long table with no one at it yet. We waved over Kennedi, Sadie, Ameer, and Amare. I introduced them. 

"Brain one and Brain two meet, Pinky and Clide." They all smiled at each other.

"I'm Sadie, this is my twin Kennedi." Kennedi waved.

"I'm Amare, and this is my twin Ameer." He gave them a salute, then walked over to me.

"Did you hear about the Ball?" he asked me. OH MY GOSH WHAT DO I SAY! IS HE GOING TO ASK ME?!?! I need to chill, I sound like Emm- wait. EMMA GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!! okay, okay, no need to yell.  Bye! 

"Yeah. Why do you think I look like this, my sister decided I needed a date." I realized he was wearing a suit and tie. "Your's too?" He grimaced.

"Yep." I had an idea, probably a very stupid one but it's still an idea. I stuck my finger in the air.

"I have an idea!" I pointed at him then me. "We could go together, that would appease both our sisters, and I think we could still have fun." He thought for a moment.

"Sure, I don't see why we can't go, as friends." I smiled. Perfect, I just got a "date" that will make Em happy. 

"Hey, It looks like supper is starting, wanna grab a chair?" Such a gentleman.

"No, I would rather grab some food." I smiled as we sat down.

We sat back as dishes started flying around the room like taxis. 

"Potatoes! Over here please!" Ameer yelled as the mashed potatoes were zipping in circles over people's heads. He grabbed the bowl and offered some to me before serving himself.  Then I spotted my favorite dish, hovering near a chandelier.

"STEAK!" I hollered over the commotion of eight hundred some students all called out for food. Everyone went silent for a moment as the platter floated gracefully towards my plate. The one thing everyone knew about the steak tray was that it was extremely picky. If you grabbed it too hard it would never come back to you. It judged you on appearances, character, and which steak you took. It was the social challenge of a lifetime.

"Medium Rare ten ounce please." The steaks started disappearing into the air as new ones appeared. I took one with perfect grill marks. "Thank you." The tray froze for a moment. It then flew around my head twice, then bowed. I smiled at it and nodded back as it flew off. There was whispering in the hall. I started cutting my steak, ignoring all the stares I was getting. I turned to Emma.

"Want a steak, I have two." At that she burst out laughing as she grabbed one. 

"Only you." She shook her head.

"What? I didn't even do anything!" She smiled.

"You just got the exact steak you asked for, but not just one two steaks. You know that trey has accurately predicted who would do the best here for hundreds of years. It just picked you, and here you are acting as if nothing happened." I was so confused.

"I don't see your point." 

"That is my point." 

"Oh. I still don't get it." She just laughed at me, cutting up her steak. Natasha walked up to the front of the room, holding up her hand for quiet.

"Okay, thanks for that. One I would like to congratulate Alix for getting not one but two steaks tonight. Two, we will be having a battle against The Blessed of Ares as a test for Fighting and Self-Defense. It is my pleasure to announce our team leaders, Those of you from Boot camp would know them as The Alpha and Luna, but here we know them by different names. A round of applause for Alix and Emma Ritner!" The lights went dark, and spotlights hit the two of us. We stood up and walked to the front with her. "These are your team leaders, show them the utmost respect. We will play by the rules of The Blessed of Ares, break them and you automatically get a zero on the test. The requirements will be sent to your dorm rooms. Classes are going to be dedicated to preparing for the battle. Every person will be able to pick up a supply pack or use their own. You will get put in ranks by Alix and Emma using the same tests they use for boot camp. Girls, anything you would like to say?" I spoke first.

"Anyone from boot camp, please come to a meeting in here, tonight at nine. Everyone else, I expect you to have read the rules and abide by them. We'll see you all tomorrow at five am. Rise with the sun, get stuff done." Emma took over. 

"I will oversee training, I'm not going to go easy on anyone. We have two weeks to get every one of you into shape and ready to go to battle. They have a battle twice a week. We are at the disadvantage, but we have magic. Every one of us has magic running through our veins, together we can beat them. It will just take hard work from every single one of us. Finish you supper and report to your dorms. Blessed that are here, I'll see you individually starting at nine, while Alix talks strategy. Thanks for listening and now back to Natasha." She finished our speech as we walked back to our seats.

"This is going to be so much fun!" I whispered in her ear as we sat down and listened to Natasha talk about changes in scheduling due to the battle.