Chapter 45 - Stronger Together

*Jamie's Pov*

"Don't you dare touch my girlfriend." Zion said while bursting into the room.

Shit. He's gonna ruin everything.

"Zion what the hell are you doing here?" I asked, while unconsciously backing away from Jesse.

"I came to get you. You don't have to do this anymore. I talked to your dad, he's not gonna force you to do this." Zion said.

Really?

A little late for that now.

"Zion can you please wait outside?" I said.

"No, I'm not leaving here without you Jamie. His recovery isn't your responsibility." Zion said.

"Jamie what is he talking about?" Jesse asked confused.

"I don't know, he's probably just pissed I chose you." I said, hoping Zion would catch on and play along.

"Seriously, you can stop pretending now Jamie." Zion said.

Mental face palm.

Idiot.

If Jesse finds out I was lying to him, he'll hate me forever and who knows how it will affect his health.

"Zion outside now." I muttered.

"Not without you." He said.

"Again, what is going on here?" Jesse asked.

"Just accept the fact that I don't want to marry you. You and my dad can suck it." I said, my acting was a bit over the top.

"You don't have to marry me Jamie. Your dad called the arranged marriage off, now we can be with each other for real." He said.

What? He did?

"Wait really? We're not engaged anymore?" I asked to be sure.

"Yes, that's what I've been trying to tell you Jamie." Zion said, getting impatient.

I don't know if I should feel free or disappointed.

"Well that's great. Now I can finally be with Jesse." I said winking at Zion, praying he would have the sense not to argue anymore.

"Are you deaf? I just said you don't have to pretend anymore and is there something in your eye?" Zion said.

Wow.

Now I know never to rob a bank with Zion or do anything requiring secret communication.

"I'm only going to say this one more time, so pay attention okay. I'm in love with Jesse and I choose him not you. He's gonna get better and we'll be together" I said, placing emphasis on my words.

"Ooooh." He said, finally catching on.

"Yeah. Make it look believable." I mouthed to Zion.

"What? Why? I can't lose you." He said, playing along.

"Well you're going to, can we take this outside because you're disturbing Jesse?" I said.

"But..."

"No buts, out now. I'll be right back Jesse. This won't take long." I said, leading Zion out while looking back at a really confused Jesse.

He just nodded and watched us leave.

His brain must be pretty messed up if he bought that nonsense.

"Jesus Zion, stick to singing because you're a terrible actor." I said once we were out of the hospital room.