Chapter 5 - Xavier

Sitting on our private plane, I had plenty of time to wait for the pilot to get the clear to go. I was early as usual, but I had to just get away from the main offices. Going to La Crosse, Wisconsin was perfect seeing as the offices there were smaller, and I could find some time to relax at my parents' place in the bluffs seeing as they hardy used it anymore.

For almost a week, I found myself checking on that photo of Rachel's calf when my stress levels were getting up there into the red zone. With the stupidity running through the offices, it was hard not to let it escalade. Emailing Rachel has been helping somewhat, and in the last message she sent, it included her phone number.

Checking the phone number one last time, for the hundredth time, I memorized it and wondered if I should really call her. Besides, it wasn't like I would be anywhere near her. The area code spread through a good portion of the state and chances of us running into each other was slim. I didn't know where she was located, and I didn't even want to think of researching that information. Her location wasn't something I should want to know unless I was extremely certain I wasn't any harm to her at all.

Picking up my phone, I looked at the baby cow's face. It was a cute thing with the biggest brown eyes I've ever seen. I never seen what one looked like up close, or even a real one at that, but if I did, I could see where Rachel loved what she did. It was hard not to get used to looking into those eyes knowing you helped bring the animal into life.

Holding the damn phone to my ear, the lump filled in my throat. I shouldn't be calling her, but I was and now, I just needed to hear her voice. What was it like? Was it soft and gentle as I imagined it to be every five seconds when I thought of her? Or was it deeper than normal? Scratchy? Whiny?

"Just stop asking and stop hounding me. The answer is no and just leave it alone, will you? Damn, I mean, just stop for once. If you just aren't happy with me being who I am, then I don't need friends like you." Of course, her voice had to be filled with the sweetest love even through the anger, a favorite song on the radio you just wanted to listen to over and over, heavenly.

Resting back in my seat, I let her rant to whoever she thought she was talking to just letting that tenderness fill through my veins. I needed this, but she didn't. Not until I was a hundred percent sure no harm would come to her.

"I have plenty to do than sit here and get hounded by you about a date that I don't need. I cut hay a few days ago-"

"Rachel?" Interrupting her wasn't something I wanted to do, but I wanted to at least let her know that it was me and not whoever she thought it was.

"...and it's sitting there drying and I checked the forecast and we are supposed to get some rain. That's not good for the hay to be sitting in the rain before I get it baled. I already raked it up and I must get it going because I have to store that for the winter. You do know the winter is when I don't get hay to grow because of the snow."

"Rachel?"

She sucked in a breath as something clanked in the background. "So, now you have my whole views on the dating site. I cancelled it and it is staying cancelled. And I don't appreciate you going behind my back and starting up a new one without my consent. It's not right and I don't want one. If I wanted one, I will put it up myself. I'm done with that and I'm not doing it anymore. If it's a date for the wedding, you both are going to have to just suck it up because I might just be there alone and that is fine by me."

"Rachel." My heart fluttered a little as I shifted in the seat. I've met some talkers in my life, but she was different. This was the way she let it out and she had to, guessing as to how her friends must have been harassing her about canceling her profile.