Chapter 1: The Rule

A teenager rises from his bed rapidly and gasps for air

A teenager rises from his bed rapidly and gasps for air. "Who said that?" He thought to himself as he examined the bedroom. "Was it all just a dream?" The teenager continues to think as he notices that no one else is inside his room. He sighs and look at his alarm clock, 7:30 AM, he should probably get ready for his first day back to school. More importantly, his first day as a senior back to school. The dirty blonde puts on his glasses and changes into a simple t-shirt and jeans. The teenager grabs his backpack and picks up his school ID from his desk, it read, "Mark Reed, 12th grade Senior, Granite Hills High School".

"I can't wait to graduate and get out of this town." Mark mumbles to himself and walks out of his room into the hallway. He makes his way down to the kitchen but is abruptly stopped by his sister.

"Even as a senior, you dress like a slop on the first day." She smirks at her sly comment.

"Amy, we all have our flaws. Like you waking up 2 hours before I do to get ready and put on make-up." The older brother teases her. Amy rolls her eyes and groans as a reply, she heads off into some other room in the house to continue getting ready. Mark goes to the pantry, grabs a Poptart and starts to eat it. He goes off into the living room, sits down on the couch and turns on the television. The news channel plays and a male reporter begins his report:

"In recent news, a college student was found dead at a local strip mall. This is the third victim of the week and the police are on high alert for any suspects on the crime. If anyone has any information at all about this event, please contact the news station hotline-"

"They're still talking about those dead college kids?" Amy walked into the room putting on lipstick before stuffing it into her pocket.

"Yeah and they found another victim today." Her brother says as he takes another bite of the Poptart. Mark looks up at her and asks, "Hey, do you remember when does mom gets back from her shift at work?".

"She comes back on Friday. Thank God, she's a flight attendant. We get the whole house to ourselves and she can't nag us about everything we do." The brunette grins and crosses her arms.

"But, I'm the one looking after you and the house to make sure you don't throw a huge kegger party again. Anyway-" Mark stands up, "We should drive to school now or else we'll be late." He grabs the car keys from the coffee table and walks out the door with his sister behind him.

"You know, for only being a year older than me, you act like you're an old man." Amy points out to him as they enter into Mark's old 2009 Toyota and drive off to the school's campus.

As Mark drove into the parking lot of Granite Hills High School, he was greeted by a huge banner that had the word, "Welcome!" painted on. The school parking lot was filled with hundreds of cars, trucks, and even a few motorcycles that was commonly associated with the "bad kids" in the neighborhood. As he drove around, he could see countless of students walking into the school's main building and parents waving goodbye to their children through their car windows. After driving around for what seemed like an eternity, the teenager was finally able to find a parking space. Before exiting the car, Amy immediately yank at her brother's arm, "You know the rule."

"Yes, yes, I know. But, don't you think you're getting too old for this 'ten second head start' thing? It's pretty dumb, you're almost 18. Don't act like a kid anymore." Mark glares at her with a stern face.

"It's not dumb when you have a complete fucking asshole for a brother." Amy goes out of the car and slams the car door, walking away. Mark sighs deeply and fixes his glasses, "Why does it always have to be like this?", he wonders. Though, he does not agree with this "rule", he follows his sister's wish.

"1....2....3....4....5....6....7....8....9....10."