Chapter 7: New Guy in Town

            Mark's dark blue eyes slowly fluttered open, the harmonious chirping of birds outside his window graced his ears. Bright morning sunlight peaked through his blinds to bring a hint of natural lighting in the bedroom. The teenager laid in bed listening the peaceful noises of the nature. The serenity of this moment wrapped around every piece of his body, causing him to feel joyful. A calming mood overtook his body, letting him close his eyes to fall back asleep. Mark was snapped back into reality when he felt a cold, soft pillow thumped the back of his head.

"Hey, are you awake yet?" Luke asked as he stood near the doorway. Mark looked up and his lips curved down to a frown, "Now, I am.".

The human lifted himself off the bed and lazily searched for his spare glasses. He opened the nightstand's drawer to find a dusty pair of large, brown glasses. "I've haven't worn these since middle school." Mark examined the glasses, hoping that his current prescription would be the same as before.

As the teenager put on the glasses, his vision was crystal clear. He glanced at his phone to check the time.

"We overslept." Luke stated.

"Shit." Mark cursed at himself, the taller teenager was correct. It was 10:30 AM, he already missed his first three periods for the day. The joy he felt before drained out of his body, all he could think about was how fast could he get ready.

After he managed to get himself and Luke prepared in less than 15 minutes, he still had to worry about how they were going to get to school. Mark left his car in the school parking lot which left their only option to Luke's insane driving on his motorcycle. Though he wasn't happy about taking another ride on the demon's hell bike, the teenager lived by the phrase, "Beggars can't be choosers."

***********************************************************************************************

Luckily, the pair left out of the principal's office with their only punishment being a verbal warning.

"Well, if he's with you, Mark, I have no worries. I trust that it was an honest mistake." The balding principal with an aged, wrinkled face said with a bit of glee in his tone. "But, it isn't summer anymore. You both must come to school on time, no more fooling off."

"Of course, sir! This will never happen again." Mark awkwardly chuckled. In the back of his mind, he prayed for Luke to stay silent and not say anything to get them into more trouble.

The two walked next to each other, exploring the endless hallways to find their respected classrooms. "Mark, loosen up. You looked like you were about to shit yourself when talking to the principal."

"What was I supposed to do, Luke?! I thought you were going to say some dumb bullshit to get us into even more trouble!" Mark explained to him. "You're just lucky, I have a good reputation with the teachers."