Ch. 28 : Sick?

A few weeks went by, everybody had gone on different missions, never higher than a B-Rank. One morning Shikamaru and Ray were both home, back from missions the previous day. "You want breakfast?" Ray asked as she sat up in bed, "sure, eggs sound good" Shikamaru yawned stretching where he lay. "Then eggs it is" she stood up, she took one step to head for the kitchen but stopped, placing her hand on her neck. "You ok?" Shikamaru opened one eye noticing she wasn't moving. She then suddenly made a dash for the bathroom, "Ray" Shikamaru sat up quickly, when he didn't hear a response he ran in the bathroom seeing her hugging the toilet, "don't feel good?" he leaned on the door way, "what a drag." Ray looked up at him, "you aren't allowed to be irritated with me being sick" she managed to get out before she continued vomiting. He walked over kneeling next to her to rub her back, "must have been that sushi we ate last night" she leaned back adjusting herself to lean against the wall. "Probably, don't worry about breakfast" began to stand back up, after his statement about breakfast she quickly sat up vomiting once more. "I'm not" she struggled to speak, he stepped back slightly disgusted, "if you want breakfast you're going to have to deal with it yourself" she panted as she leaned against the wall once more. "I'm going to hang here for a minute" she held her hand out shooing him away, so he took the hint and left.

Shikamaru left, Ray thought he was going to get breakfast which even though she offered she found a little insensitive, but he was really going out to find her some medicine. "Hey Shikamaru" Ino called to him as he passed her family's flower shop, "Hey" he stopped turning his attention to her. "How are you and Ray doing I haven't been able to come over to see yalls place" she spoke as she wiped her hands on her apron. "Ok, I suppose" he rubbed the back of his head, "what do you mean ok?" Ino crossed her arms irritated by his lack of enthusiasm. "Well it's just Ray's a little sick this morning, I'm not sure what medicine to get for bad sushi" he placed his hands in his pockets, "oh that's easy" Choji walked up before Ino could answer, "hey I'm the medical ninja here" Ino complained, "maybe but I'm the food expert" he muffled as he scarfed down a back of chips, Ino crossed her arms irritated that he was right. "Ok, so?" Shikamaru turned his attention to Choji "there's many ways to help suppress the horrible effects of food poisoning, my personal favorite is honey, but ginger works better" Choji explained. "Ok, that's a good start" Shikamaru sighed, glad he had somewhere to begin. "Oh," Ino ran inside the shop before emerging with a bottle of honey, "here, it's natural to" she smiled, "thank you guys, I'm gonna get this to her" Shikamaru then walked off back to their house.

When he returned he found Ray on the couch dipping chocolate bars in ice cream. "I guess you're feeling better" he took a seat on the ottoman across from her, "yea, I guess I got it all out" she shrugged. "What's that?" she looked at the bottle in his hands, "oh, Choji said it was good for food poisoning" he held it up, "ok, but what is it?" she laughed, feeling better that he had selflessly sought out to assist her. "Honey" he began to set it down next to her but she held her hand out, he looked at her questionably as he handed it to her. She took the bottle and poured some into the ice cream, "Strange choice for breakfast" he chuckled, "don't judge me" she scolded him playfully. "You sure you're ok?" he asked leaning back, "yea I feel great now" she muffled as she spooned the ice cream with chocolate bars. "Ok, troublesome woman" he laughed as he rose from the ottoman. The rest of the day was pretty bland, Ray seemed to have some mood swings but nothing Shikamaru wasn't used to.

The next morning Shikamaru woke up finding Ray not in the bed, or anywhere in the room. "Ray?" he called out, once he realized he wasn't getting a response he got up to head to the bathroom. Once he got there he found Ray hugging the toilet again, "sick again?" he asked a little concerned now. "I guess I ate to many sweets" she responded once she got a break for her body forcing her to throw up. "I don't know" he knelt next to her, "what don't you know" she grabbed a towel from nearby to wipe her mouth. "Two separate occasions of food bothering your stomach maybe we should go to the hospital, have Sakura check you out" he pleaded as he rubbed her back, "I don't see the need but if it makes you feel better" she stood up making her way to the sink. "Ok, I'll go get dressed and wait for you in the living room" he looked to her concerned before he left the bathroom. After Ray brushed her teeth she got dressed and her and Shikamaru made their way to the hospital. The more they walked the better Ray seemed to feel, once they got there Ray seemed to feel much better.

"I told you it's nothing I already feel better" she smiled as she sat at the end of the hospital bed, "still it won't hurt" he stood next to her as they waited for Sakura to enter the room. "I suppose, I do want to go get some barbeque after this though" she swung her legs over the edge of the bed. "Hey Ray, what's the matter?" Sakura entered the room with a clipboard in hand, "Shikamaru is just worried" Ray waved her hand. "She's been throwing up the last few days" he scoffed, "the last two days" Ray corrected. "Ok, I'll just run a few tests to make sure everything is ok" Sakura pulled a syringe out of her pocket taking some of Ray's blood. "If you will just go into the bathroom to give a urine sample" Sakura pointed to the bathroom, "Fine" Ray got up board of the menial tasks. Ray did her business then gave Sakura the sample, Sakura took it and left the room. "Uggg" Now were going to have to wait, Ray sprawl out on the bed while Shikamaru sat at the foot of it, "be patient troublesome woman" he lay back perpendicular to Ray, his legs hanging over the side of the bed. After a while Sakura entered the room with a giant grin, "what are you so happy about?" Ray sat up hanging her feet over the edge of the bed sitting next to Shikamaru. "Well I actually have good news" she held the clipboard tight to her chest, Shikamaru's eyes shot open and he sat up quickly, causing Ray to look at him startled and a little irritated, "what's with you?" she snapped at him. Shikamaru ignored her, looking to Sakura questionably, she simply nodded, a giant grin flooded his face. "What the hell is going on?" Ray looked between the two of them, Shikamaru jumped up taking the clipboard from Sakura as she held it out to him, "I can't believe it" he shook his head with the same grin as his eyes glided across the paper. "Somebody tell me what the hell is happening?" Ray began to grow furious, Shikamaru trotted back over to Ray throwing the clipboard on the bed picking her up swinging her around. "Carful Shikamaru" Sakura held her hand out reaching with concern, Ray said nothing she glared at him as he put her down. He picked up the clipboard handing it to her, Ray snatched it from him, her eyes widened as she read the paper. "I'm...Were..." she looked up to meet Shikamaru's glassy eyes, "pregnant" she felt tears flood her eyes with glee. Shikamaru nodded embracing her once more, "This is the best moment ever being a medical ninja" Sakura threw her hands up in the air. Ray pulled herself from Shikamaru, "Sakura!" she yelled, "Ray!" Sakura yelled back, "I'm pregnant!" Ray ran to Sakura hugging her, "you are!" she returned the hug. "We have to go furniture shopping again" Ray laughed tears running down her cheeks, "Shikamaru has to come this time" Sakura glared at him. "Oh," he rubbed the back of his head, "what a drag."

Sakuradidn't end up going with them to furniture shop for a nursery, she wasdisappointed but she understood, she had to work anyways. Shikamaru and Rayspent the rest of the day taking their time finding the things they needed fora new baby. "So, I suppose this put a kink in the wedding plans huh?" Raylaughed looking up to Shikamaru, "huh, I didn't even think about that"Shikamaru laced his fingers together behind his head. "You wouldn't" Rayclasped her hands together behind her back. "Well it will give us plenty oftime to plan the wedding" Shikamaru chuckled, "you're not wrong" Ray laughed.