six 〰 we'll stand by you, too

unedited

In the principal's room, Richie stood beside Henry Bowers, who was too ashamed to look up, for his defeat just a few seconds ago.

"What the hell just happened?" The principal demanded, her face and voice stern. Henry just grunted.

"Richie here punched me for his faggy friend, Mrs. Florence." His gaze was still on the ground, but it was cold as ice. He was acting tough, but on the inside, he was still scared and had a lack of dignity to own.

"Mr. Bowers! I suggest you watch your language!" She turned to Richie. "Is this true, Mr. Tozier?"

"I did it to protect my friend, who is not a fag." He spit the word out at Henry before continuing, acting like he really cared about every word he said. Sadie made him change his vision on the dare, not Eddie himself. "Henry was throwing punches at Eddie like he was some punching bag and that's physical bullying, which is forbidden under the law. Everyone was not doing anything except waiting around with their scared asses-"

"Beep, beep, Richie. You watch your language as well, young sir."

"- and I couldn't just do that myself, okay? I had to help him, alright? And in this case, words don't solve issues. The second best option was violence." The principal squeezed the bridge of her nose, sighing.

"Oh God, Henry. How long are you going to be in this building with me? This is your fourth time this week being called down here, and it's Tuesday!" Henry finally gathered himself and looked up. "Matters are going to be taken more seriously now. You have both after-school and lunch detention for the rest of this week and in-school suspension for the following two weeks. Richie, you have done the right thing. However, words would have been a better option. I would normally assign lunch detention in these cases but you are a good student with a clean record. I will let you off the hook just this once."

"What?!" Henry shrieked, in disbelief. "My mom will have a bird!"

"You should've thought of that before punching your classmate. Now, scurry along, third period is almost over, and I will not be responsible for any of your missed notes." Richie smirked in victory before leaving the classroom.

"You win this time, but the next time I see you, you're dead meat, Tozier!" Henry muttered. "Dead meat. And that queer of a friend you have should watch his ass too. I bet you're a fag, just like him. That's why you protected him. He'll be buried beside you and you both can go and make out in the pits of hell."

***

Richie sighed as he ran his hand through his black curls, separating some knots. The bell rung, signaling it was time for fourth period. He had no intention in going to English, so he went outside and took out an unopened packet of Marlboros and his lighter. He stood there for five, ten, fifteen minutes, smoking cigarette after cigarette, filling his lungs with toxic air and emptying them. He stood near the corner of the vintage building where he could see the premises effortlessly, but was practically hidden.

On his fourth cigarette, he heard voices and looked in the direction of them. The mob of fourth period physical education, which consisted of more than half the seniors and juniors of his high school, were piled outside. Coach Friedman's voice boomed.

"Alright! Today for warmup, since they're redoing the track, you'll have to run around the school. You must run or jog four laps and then you are free to walk the rest. When I blow the whistle, you all run right back here, you understand?" A series of "yes"'s and nods were exchanged and the group began running.