28- The Happy Couple

Hayley's p.o.v

"Hayley, I'm making dinner, do you want any?" Cal asks. "No, thanks Cal." I smile. The boys have been skittish around me these last three days, and it's not hard to tell why. They think I'm going to snap any second and do it again, so they've tried to spend as much time with me as possible.

"Guys, I'm fine, go out and enjoy yourselves." I smile at them. "We could all go to the beach." Ash suggests. "You guys can go to the beach, I will stay here and talk to Ashleigh on FaceTime." I smile at them.

"Hayley, we want you to go. Please." Mikey grabs my hands and pulls me up. "Alright, fine. Tomorrow, you are going out and you four are going to get pizza and watch a movie at the theatre while I stay home, no exceptions. You four need time together alone. I'll be fine, I promise." I order. "Fine." Cal huffs. "Is Luke going?" Ash asks.

"Yes, he is." I answer. "I thought you hated Luke." Cal looks confused. "I don't care how he hurt me, I can't hate him, and I hate myself for that. He has a right to his feelings and his opinion about me, so no guys, I don't hate him. I'm just sorry my trust was misplaced." I shrug.

"Uh, good, cause he's right there." Mikey points to the door. My smile falters at first, but I still smile at him slightly and then look back to Cal. "I'm going to get changed." I state and turn to walk up the stairs. "Dude, you messed her up, you need to fix this." I hear Cal scold Luke.

"Calum, I'd give anything to replay that night, she wasn't supposed to hear it." Luke counters and I shake my head.

I walk into the guest room and straight to my bag. I pull out my Aztec printed romper and an American flag bikini. I quickly get changed and let my long hair flow down in a cascade of waves.

I pull on my sunglasses and place bracelets on my arm before walking downstairs, finding the boys ready to go.

"I really like her though." Luke argues as I quietly make my way down. "Tell her!" Mikey expresses, but everyone freezes upon seeing me. "Let's go." I smile lightly. They were obviously talking about Grace, but she knows he likes her, I mean, they are dating.

We all walk out to the car, take our seats, and make the small drive to the beach. Bet Grace will be there too, that would just make my day. Note sarcasm.

When we arrive, as I expected, she's there. "Lukey!" She exclaims and runs up to him, pressing her lips to his. I keep walking until I reach the waters edge.

I remember the last time we were at the beach, and the more I try to push it out, the more the pain of Luke comes back to me.

"Deep thoughts?" Luke asks from beside me. I ignore him as it he isn't standing right next to me. I shift slightly and he sighs heavily. "Hales I didn't mean it." He states. "Luke, stop lying, I've heard enough to last a lifetime." I retort quietly.

"Please, Hayley understand that it wasn't true." He pleads. "It was true, Luke. And your worried I cut myself, I only did it because I thought I was forever alone with nobody. You of all people understood that, well, I thought you did. Guess not." I explain.

"Hayley, I-" he starts. I look at him painfully and that stops him in his tracks. "Luke, please stop. I already lost you, can we just cut the unneeded heartache there?" I ask. "I'm sorry." He whispers. "Me too." I state before walking away.

"Hayley!" Michael yells. I smile and run up to him. "That would be me." I smile when I reach him. "I need you to come with me." He grabs my arm and pulls me along with him.

"Mikey, where are you taking me?" I ask. "To build a sand castle." He smiles. I playfully roll my eyes with a smile and we kneel down in the sand and build a small castle. "Hayley, I know you like him." Mikey states out of nowhere.

My blood runs cold, but I quickly pull myself together. "Who?" I ask. "Luke." Mikey clarifies. "Mikey I don't like Luke." I defend. "Really? So if I told you he really didn't mean what he said, you wouldn't run right up to him and not make a move?" He asks.

"No, he has a girlfriend and I couldn't do that to him. And I don't like him." I explain. "Hayley, I read you like a book. It's ok, I just want you to admit it so I can sleep at night. I won't tell anyone anything." He promises.

"Michael, I fucking like him, ok?" I finally break. He looked gobsmacked, like he didn't know what to do. I brush off all the sand from my hands and then run them through my hair. "You really do?" He asks.

"Yes, and I hate myself for it, but I can't help it. I mean, it's not like I was ever going to make a move anyway, so what's the hurt in that?" I shrug. "Your feelings, Hayley, your feelings are going to be hurt." Mikey frowns. "Michael, it's a mere crush, nothing to worry about. Besides, he hates me so." I shrug it off awkwardly.

"No he doesn't, Hayley, I know he doesn't." Mikey argues. "Promise you won't say a thing." I plead. "I promise, Hales." He smiles and rubs my shoulder. I smile at him and then get to my feet, walking alone the shore and collecting shells.

I pick up one after another while Grace, Luke, Cal, and Ash hang out down at the water. On sight, Grace pulls Luke in for a kiss right in front of me. I shrug it off on the outside, but on the inside, it's killing me. Oh well, they're the happy couple.

I bite the inside of my cheek and scan the sand for shells. Finding shells was like trying to find hope, you have to dig for it.