iii. rats

iii. rats

It is sometime around May of Albus Potter's second year at Hogwarts that a crisis in the Slytherin common room unfolds.

It starts out with a shrill, ear-piercing scream in the middle of the night that effectively jerks every Slytherin student awake. Professor Zabini, Head of Slytherin house, is summoned immediately as per protocol and by the time he has arrived, having had no time to change out of his lavish silk pajamas, every Slytherin has camped out in the common room. He pushes past them impatiently, muttering warnings of detentions for a week, to the source of all the commotion. Professor Zabini sighs as his eyes drift to a group of droopy-eyed Second Years trying to console a hysterical Bernice Goyle.

"What's all the fuss about?" Professor Zabini asks sharply and his eyes hone in on Scorpius Malfoy, whose hand is resting comfortingly on Bernice's back. Scorpius gulps and opens his mouth to speak, only he finds that no sound is coming out. His lips move wordlessly for a moment before he lets out a shuddered sigh and looks to the dark-haired boy standing next to him.

"Bernice thinks she saw a rat, sir," Albus Potter says coolly. Professor Zabini's lips curl down in irritation.

"You weren't being addressed, Potter," he growls before directing his attention to Bernice, who almost instinctively backs away from the professor's angry gaze. "Am I to believe that half the castle has been forced to rise at one o' clock in the morning because somebody's rat decided to build a nest in your hair?"

"Well, I - er - it wasn't that - " Bernice stutters pitifully, but Albus cuts her off quickly.

"None of the Slytherins own a pet rat, sir," he adds, condescension dripping from his tone. "And the way Bernice described it, it didn't seem like your average rat." And then he raises one eyebrow, delicately, and his head tilts sideways as if to say 'You know what I mean.'

At this, Professor Zaibini's frown deepens so much so it accentuates the jagged lines of old battle scars across his forehead. If Albus were skilled at Legilimency, he would be able to see the word 'ANIMAGUS' dotted across the Professor's mind with fine, silver strands of old memories. But he's rather good at guessing what people think, even without being a Legilimens. So it comes as no surprise to him when his calculated move causes Professor Zabini to suddenly spout out a series of panicked orders.

"Merriweather - notify the other professors. And do be quick about it!" His wand is out and he flicks it around in every direction, casting quick and silent spells. "I want someone guarding the Slytherin dungeons at all times. All times, d'you hear?"

His Patronus, a silver Hawk, bursts out of his wand and soars above the students' heads before disappearing through the Slytherin walls. "Lovell - as you're a Prefect I'll be expecting you to get all of the students down here and into the Great Hall. You will all be sleeping there overnight and exceptions will not be made. Anyone out of bed will be expelled. I will personally make sure of that." The Professor's eyes flicker briefly to Albus and Scorpius, a suspicious glint in them, before he diverts his attention to Bernice, who looks as thoroughly confused as everybody else.

"You." He ushers her towards him. "With me, to the Headmistress's office. You will describe everything you saw to her with every detail you can remember."

She casts a horrified look to Albus and he resists the urge to roll his eyes. Must she be so obvious?

"You'll be fine," he says, nodding. "Go."

Albus watches, smothering down a smirk, as Professor Zabini leaves in a flourish with a puzzled-looking Bernice in tow.

"What was that all about?" A third year Slytherin mutters darkly.