ix. basilisks

ix. basilisks

"Honestly, you're both worse than my parents."

"Now that's the kind of insult which actually works," Albus says wryly, disentangling himself from Scorpius. It's hardly their fault that Rose happens to have the worst timing in the world and somehow consistently manages to chance upon the pair in a less than appropriate rendezvous.

"On the contrary," Scorpius replies as he hastily smoothes down his crumpled shirt, cheeks red with embarrassment, "Mr and Mrs Weasley make for a very romantic couple."

"I've just had breakfast, Malfoy," Rose says and, for good measure, makes a gagging sound. She sidles past them and, with the air of a well-versed librarian, plucks out a copy of Muggles and Magic: A History from an array of hardbacks stacked against each other on a bookshelf that looks as though it might just topple over at any given moment.

She flops down beside the two boys on the couch they have been lounging on for the last half an hour and proceeds to lift the book cover open with the wary tenderness of that of an archaeologist digging out an ancient artefact. Albus bites down the urge to make another lewd comment about Rose and the exact nature of her relationship with books. When he looks across to Scorpius and their eyes meet, he knows he is thinking exactly the same thing. They both smirk simultaneously. Unfortunately, Rose notices.

"What," she snaps. Scorpius begins to splutter so of course Albus has to chip in to save the day.

"You do realize we've got another year before our NEWTs," he says, motioning to the hardback that has now found itself pressed against her chest like an attention-starved child.

Rose gives him a look that clearly illustrates her disapproval of his statement.

"Well, Potter," Rose sniffs, "not everyone thinks cramming two hours before an exam is a sound revision strategy."

Albus grins. "I only did that one time, cousin dearest. And it was for Care of Magical Creatures anyway. Who revises for that shi—"

He daren't finish the sentence, suddenly remembering that Scorpius Malfoy is in his immediate vicinity. Scorpius prods him sharply anyway.

"Salazar Slytherin greatly admired the subject, you know," he says defensively. "Said it was 'at the very heart of ancient Wizarding society'. He even had a pet pygmy puff, so the rumours go."

Despite herself, Rose snickers.

"Oh yes," she nods, mock-agreeably. "He had his pygmy puff house-trained alongside Barry the Basilisk."

"D'you think they got along, Barry and the pygmy puff?" Albus strokes his chin comically.

"No, Barry was jealous," Rose says, sighing. "Salazar always gave the pygmy puff more attention. Drove Barry mad with envy, so he petrified him."

"Salazar?" Scorpius chips in, with one eyebrow raised in amusement.

Rose shakes her head. "No, the pygmy puff, you berk."

"Oh, I thought the pygmy puff was a girl," Scorpius says in complete earnest. His eyebrows furrow. "You know, come to think of it, I've always thought of pygmy puffs as girls. Hang on a minute!" He claps his hands together. "Pygmy puffs weren't being bred until the late 90s. Weren't they – didn't your Uncles Fred and George – ?"

"Merlin's saggy beard, Scorp!" Albus let's his hands fall on his knees as his shoulders shake with laughter. Rose is trying her very best to remain stoically disappointed but even her lips are starting to twitch. Scorpius crosses his arms together.