Ch. 13 ~ The Change

Rio let herself into the house with her key and turned to close the door just in time to see Dylan scurrying off back into the Brook. She wondered if she should've went with him and walked him home, considering what had just happened. He was lucky her phone provider had good service, other wise the 'I have something interesting to show you, come to mine ASAP~' text from Tsukiyama could've gotten to her too late, and the only interesting thing for her to see would've been Dylan's half-eaten corpse. She probably should've went with him, but she had a guest waiting for her on the balcony.

     She closed the door and locked it behind herself. Her father would just have to unlock the door with his own key. She scrambled up the stairs and threw open her bedroom door, moving towards the double doors on the other side of her bed, leading to the balcony. On the other side, the boy was waiting with the same smirk. She slid one of the keys on the wire ring into the lock, and the door popped open when he pushed.

       Rio sighed and dropped down into her black leather office chair, and it spun slightly with the force, turning away from her desk more, and she didn't bother to correct it.

    "Lane," She greeted the boy tiredly.

     "Rio," The boy, Lane, casually draped himself across her bed, half propped up against the headboard and pillows, half laying, and totally making a mess of her nice spread of blankets and pillows.

    "So, to what do I owe the pleasure?" Rio sighed, massaging the bones in her wrist. They'd been playing up since she stepped out of Tsukiyama's apartment. She must've strained a muscle or two, driving the knife into the wall. She'd be impressed if he ever got that out.

    "Nothing really," Lane gave a half shrug and let his eyes sweep around the room, as if it was the first time he'd been here. It wasn't. "I mean, aside from the fact that you've gone soft... When was the last time you hunted, pray tell?"

     "I suppose I see humans in a new light," Rio said, meeting Lane's accusing eyes defiantly. Despite the rhythmic knocking of a headache in her skull, she narrowed her eyes in a glare.

     "They're our pray, Rio, it's in our nature," He said, shaking his head slightly, eyebrows furrowing in irritation. She shifted uncomfortably in her chair and brought one leg up so her knee met her chest. "We eat them."

     "We don't have to. It doesn't need to be our nature, we can live other ways. Just look at Anteiku." She said with a defiant glare, before her voice dropped lower, more talking to herself than Lane. "Actually... I think Dylan would like to go there,"

    "It's that boys fault, isn't it?" Lane asked in a sudden moment of clarity, before beginning to mutter to himself in a frenzy. "It's only been a few days, how the hell has he changed you so much?! What the hell is going on with he and you? What the hell has he done to you?!"

    "Maybe it is his fault," Rio mused, her eyes focusing on something in the middle-distance. "But it isn't a bad change. Humans aren't just food to me, anymore. Perhaps you should see the same way..."

      "I'll end that boy..." Lane hissed, face scarily blank, but eyes glimmering darkly.

     "I just saved him so I'd rather my effort didn't go to waste," Rio said and rolled her eyes, but inside she felt anxious butterflies begin to swoop. She seriously hoped she wouldn't have to go save him again, and Lane was more than capable of backing up his worlds, and liable to do it, too.

     "Alright, alright, fine," Lane chuckled quietly, putting his hands up in mock surrender. Another small smirk gracing his features. "Then I guess I'll just have to turn you into the hunter you were before."

     Rio said nothing.

~