(6)

Ray drove Lily and I to the hospital to see our family. We listened to the radio and talked about what we thought the baby would be like, but Gerard stayed silent, looking out the window anxiously.

When we got to the hospital, Gerard seemed to get even more anxious. He kept wringing his hands together, and his eyes got really big.

"Are you okay?" I whispered to him. I usually tried to avoid talking to him in front of other people; they asked too many questions.

My ghost didn't reply, and I realized he was shaking. Was he sick?

Ray eventually figured out where Mom was, and took us there, waiting outside the room. "Are you guys ready to see your new sibling?"

Lily and I both nodded, and he opened the door for us, letting us go in alone.

Mom was laying on a bed, holding something small in her arms. Dad was there too, sitting in a chair close to the bed. His hand was on Mom's arm, and he looked down onto the baby with pride.

They both looked up at us as we entered the room. Mom smiled tiredly, and Dad grinned at us. "Girls, come and meet your brother!"

Lily and I approached the bed, almost shyly. Mom showed us the bundle in her arms: a tiny, pink baby. His face was about the size of my hand, and I felt awe at how small he was. Lily seemed just as full of wonder as I did.

Gerard hung back, at first, but after a few moments he seemed to compose himself from whatever was going on with him, and he approached. He looked down at the tiny baby with a small smile. He reached out and stroked the baby's head, once. The infant stirred slightly in his sleep, but didn't wake.

Dad's smile seemed to grow broader. "Cherry, Lily, this is Miles."