Chapter 4: Espionage

Billie's POV

"Bill! Bill are you...oh for fuck's sake get up." 

I groaned perhaps a little too theatrically and rolled over, bundling my pillow over my head. It was tugged off me in a fatal swoop and I protested louder when light illuminated the backs of my eyelids.

"Mike..." I whined.

"Don't pull that shit with me princess. Why in the fuck aren't you ready to go? We're supposed to meet Annabel in like 20 minutes."

I groaned again.

"What? You told me you guys are cool right? You went over and smoothed it all out."

I remembered to a few days earlier, Mike hounding me constantly to apologise to Annabel. I was going to, and I was at the foot of her bedroom window when I choked on my pride. No. Why the hell should I apologise? It was only a joke anyway, she always takes things too seriously. 

"That will NEVER happen..."

I scrunched my eyes tighter. Why did that get to me? Why am I letting her get to me? There was nothing like that between us. I mean... the night at the beach and the ritalin, and then the couch...but no. Emotions were spiralling out of control at those times, and regardless we were better off as friends. I had always wanted to keep us as friends...

Why then? Why did I take her comment like that? 

"I feel sick Mike I just want to stay home okay?"

I felt his weight sink onto the foot of my bed. I could tell he was assessing if I was worth badgering any more.

"Fine, stay home like the killjoy you are." The weight lifted, and I heard his footsteps lead to the door.

"I'll bring you back some of Chuck's cookies."

And I knew he saw my grin as he left.

I stayed there in my bed for quite a while, listening to Brad and mom talk for a bit downstairs before she went to work and he went to probably get a hand job. I drifted in and out of sleep, feeling the most relaxed than I had in weeks and happy just to catch up on some sleep when all of a sudden

"What the fuck???"

I shot up in shock, aware that someone had just pounced on me and was now burrowing under my covers. I ripped the blanket off and found Annabel on her stomach, smirking up at me.

"Hey."

"Hey yourself."

We both assessed each other for a moment or two.

"I thought you were going to Chuck's."

"I was."

"And?"

"Plans have changed."

I quirked an eyebrow. Her smile broadened but she had some strange determination glinting in her eyes.

"So what brings you to my bed?" She glanced over to my window.

"Did Brad take the car?"

"I think so. Annabel what is going on? How did you even get in?"

She got up, her slight frame swallowed by a large black sweater and decked in skinny jeans. 

"Back door was unlocked. Billie, I need your help tonight. But first, we need to get the car."

I looked at her. She looked back, those sapphire eyes set hard and her long hair upswept into a ponytail. I realised then that she was not still hung up on what I had said because she had a life to get on with and she knew that underneath it all I would do anything for her. And I knew that she would do whatever had to be done tonight whether I helped her or not. She was offering me a chance to come along for the ride.