Chapter 8: If I Were Dead

Annabel's POV

1 week later...

My head was swimming as I ran down the sidewalk with Ale. My lips were still tingling. He had tasted like toothpaste and bubble gum...

The night was so electrified I could hardly keep from laughing into it, my gaze to the stars. Lucy, Lucy had known all along hadn't she? She had seen us on the roof, she had whispered to Billie's dad, and to mine...

My pace quickened, I felt like I could fly. The refinery lights dazzled me and I thought of the dirty little town I was in. Rodeo, oh goddamn Rodeo. What a hell, what a heaven!

It was going to be okay. I knew Mom would be okay. She would come back to me. I knew she would. 

I rounded the corner, calling out in dumbstruck joy. Some Green Day song was buzzing through my mind, one of the bitter ones, one about being 16...

Every night I dream the same dream
Of getting older and older all the time...

....The length I've gone are just long miles

Would they be shorter if I were dead?

I smiled as I imagined him spitting the lyrics out in his teenage-voice he puts on when he's being particularly angsty. 

I was going to be okay. It was going to be okay.

I barely slowed as I came onto my street, passing Mona's and wondering if she and Mike would go to the school dance together in a few weeks time, maybe Billie could talk to him, maybe I could talk to her...

Ale stopped and growled. He was very still, looking ahead of me at the tree by my bedroom. I could feel it before I could see anything, the shiver that ran up my spine and the fear that gripped my heart. I knew then. I knew what was waiting for me in the shadows.

I stopped breathing when I saw the pair of metal eyes.

........