The Harder They Fall

Constantine dove out of the way as the creature tried to grab him, screeching in anger when it missed. Muscles bulged out of every inch of its body, striking fear into anybody that would be unlucky enough to witness it; anybody except John Constantine that is.

He smirked, remembering an old challenge he'd had once just like this one, and knew exactly what he needed to do in order to conquer the beast. That is, if the same laws of physics applied to demons. In most cases they didn't, but they had to this time. Please work, please, please work Constantine repeated over and over in his mind.

The monster continued to charge after him, swinging and screeching every time it missed when Constantine dodged it, running to the other side of the room. This went on for nearly an hour, and finally, what Constantine hoped would happen, did. The demon became lethargic it barely being noticeable at first but now it definitely showed. Molten sweat dripped down from the top of its head and chest, and it barely even had the energy to charge across the room anymore.

Constantine smirked, consumed in pride that his plan had worked. You see, size requires strength. And strength requires energy. So the bigger you are, the more energy you need. So all Constantine needed to do was ware it out, and then he would have the upper hand.

This plan, although not entirely foolproof all of the time, luckily did work in in this situation. Constantine slammed a sharp heel at full force into the creature's throat, and it staggered backwards, choking and holding its neck. He took this opportunity to make a run for it, fleeing through the large hole in the wall and not looking back.

He knew eventually the creature had to follow him, but for now he had a head start. Where in hell are these things coming from? And targeting me, this is quite a new situation he thought as he speedily walked down the pitch black corridors.

There had to be a way out. He had no idea where he was, and there were no windows or light fixtures to help with his sight.

The hall seemed to stretch forever, each time Constantine thought he was nearing an end, it continued. Even his thoughts echoed around, traveling back and forth in the hallway. He pulled out his oh-so-trusty lighter in hopes of the small flames providing a light source. But nothing happened. The flame awoke, flickering lightly in the air, but no light surrounded it.

"Well isn't that interesting" he spoke loudly. Then, a hand roughly grabbed his shoulder and swiftly turned him around.