CHAPTER ONE: CRUMBLING REALIZATIONS

ENGLAND, 1492

WHEN NIK TELLS HER THE DOPPELGÄNGER IS TO BE SACRIFICED, INGRID DOES SOMETHING SHE HAD NEVER DONE BEFORE.

Ingrid talks back to her brother.

"What? Nik, no!" Ingrid splutters, trying very, very hard to compose herself, but this was difficult as Niklaus was being particularly vexing. "The girl is but a child! A child!" Ingrid hisses. She's fuming, but she knows her limits. Niklaus will not hesitate to use the dagger, and there is nothing worse than that.

She can't imagine the loneliness and solitude that came from being held in a coffin for God-knows how long. Elijah had told her that it was like having a never ending dream, but Ingrid knows the nightmares that plague her every night will probably haunt her when she's in that stupid sarcophagus.

"A child who has had a child." Nik muses, smiling devilishly. That's all he's ever good at these days. Smiling and planning. So much plotting and torturing and killing. It's an endless, terrible cycle Ingrid is stuck in. She can't get out, or Nik will find her and stuff her in a coffin. She has no sanctuary, even amongst her family.

Sometimes Ingrid thinks she's drowning, and Niklaus may just be holding her head under the water.

Her older brother grins and whispers in her ear. At first, she thinks he's going to comfort her. Ingrid still has hope, however faint it may be, that Niklaus is redeemable. That there is some semblance of good in him.

She is proven wrong once again.

"Disrupt my plans, little sister, and I'll gut you. Understood?"

That's what the bastard said to her. Of all things! Ingrid wants to stomp and scream and throw a tantrum and most importantly, she wants to get away with it.

Ingrid remembers when she was young, and she threw her fits. Of course, she'd be punished, but it wasn't Niklaus who'd hurt her. Ingrid wants to be angry at her brother without the fear of having a dagger impaled in her abdomen.

Is that so much to ask?

"Is what so much to ask?" The soft, lilting voice of Katerina Petrova snaps Ingrid out of her thoughts. She starts, not realizing she'd spoken aloud. Ingrid would've blushed if she could.

Ingrid turns her head, seeing the doppelgänger smile softly at her. Her stomach churns. The doppelgänger is all innocent seduction, and she doesn't even realize it. Ingrid feels a pang of sadness in her stomach when she realizes she'll have to see this girl die, all for the sake of her brother's personal gain.

"Nothing, nothing." Ingrid says, then pats the stone bench next to her, indicating for the girl to sit. Katerina complies. They sit together in comfortable silence till Katerina breaks it. "Is it wrong to be afraid?" She asks, biting her lip.

Ingrid sneaks a glance at the doppelgänger's contemplating expression. "Afraid of what?" Ingrid asks, keeping her tone light and pleasant when really her thoughts looked something like this:

oh my god she found out we're vampires Nik is going to kill me I'm dead dead dead so dead vampires dead dead dead dagger coffin please don't

"Of your brothers." Katerina clarifies, "I mean, they're rather intimidating. Even you, I suppose.." She trails off, looking unsure at her own bluntness.

O
Then Ingrid laughs, partially because of her own relief at her secret remaining a secret and partially because Katerina had absolutely nothing to fear from her.

"You needn't fear me, darling. I apologize if they've frightened you. I'll scold them terribly if they have." Ingrid says, so earnestly even she's surprised at herself. Ingrid definitely isn't Elijah, promises don't hold as much value to her.

And then the relief on Katerina's face nearly pains Ingrid physically, because the truth is, everything she's saying is a lie. The doppelgänger should fear her. If Klaus asked her to kill her, Ingrid would have to do it.

She'd have to watch the light fade from this girl's eyes and see her lifeless body sag to ground and come to the crumbling realization that the two of them will never, ever speak to each other again.

No, Ingrid decides, Katerina Petrova will live.