CHAPTER FOUR: VICIOUS CYCLES

THE LAST TIME INGRID MIKAELSON EVER SAW FRANCE, SOMETIME IN THE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY

The day starts out normally enough.

Birds were singing, the sun was shining, and Niklaus was feeding on some poor servant girl. Or maybe she was a Lord's daughter, probably a Lord's daughter, Ingrid thinks.

Nik was spiteful like that.

In between mouthfuls of blood, he smiled at the three Mikaelson siblings across the breakfast table. Elijah looked uncomfortable, Rebekah looked hungry, and Ingrid simply felt disgusted. "It's been such a long while since we've had a meal together," Niklaus paused to wipe the red liquid from his mouth and then continued, "As a family."

Ingrid wanted to shout, scream. Rant and rave about how the love of family has been of zero significance to her older brother, but she doesn't. She remains quiet. Cautiously, she picked up the fork and began to tentatively pick at the bacon on her plate. Nik notes the movement, and his eyes travel up to her face, smirking.

"My regard for family and and its importance has not changed since the day we all were turned," he states. Liar, Ingrid wants to shout, but she holds her tongue. Rebekah does that for her.

"You evil, deceitful bastard!" Rebekah screeched. "How dare you preach about the love of family when you have none of it yourself? You falsely tell us that the daggers are for our protection, that killing those we love is to save us from some unknown foe. Niklaus, how could you?"

Silently praying for her sister to shut up, Ingrid clenched her hands into fists, her nails forming crescent marks on her palms. Nik's eyes turned cold and venomous, and Ingrid suddenly found herself fearing for her sister's life. Tugging on Rebekah's hand, Ingrid whispered "Bekah, please. Calm yourself."

"Yes, Rebekah," he spits out her name like some vile plague. "You'd do well to listen to sister dearest, she knows all about the importance of family," Niklaus sneers.

Suddenly, Ingrid realized something. He knows.

Niklaus was baiting her. Trying to scare her into confession. Ingrid would not succumb to his tactics. Not now, not ever.

"We are now closer to finding Katerina Petrova than ever. It's a wonder that she's evaded my grasp for this long, considering she didn't have any help. Or perhaps she did? After all, I have been searching relentlessly for her, turning over every nook and cranny in France. So, I ask you all, dearest half-siblings, how? Ingrid, do you know?"

Ingrid gritted her teeth, angry at the sheer mockery in her brother's tone.

A vicious endless cycle Ingrid was stuck in. It was time to escape it.

And so she would.

Grabbing a knife, Ingrid threw it with all her speed and strength into Niklaus' chest. Her brother, not expecting the sudden attack, gaped at the blade now protruding from his chest.

"Katerina! Run!" Ingrid shouted, vampire speeding to the exit before she was held back by Elijah, who grabbed her waist and prevented her from leaving. Out of the corner of her eye, Ingrid noted a small figure dart out of the room. Thank God.

Niklaus roars and Ingrid thinks this is the angriest she has even seen him. His face is contorted with so much fury that she nearly flinches. Rebekah stands, shell shocked at the turn of events.

"You little traitor," Niklaus hisses, the venom dripping from his tone like acid. "You-you have just deprived me of an opportunity I have waited centuries for! Centuries!"

Ingrid wants to cover her ears, not listen, not listen, not listen, not listen.

She doesn't scream when the dagger enters her heart.

A/N W H O A!!! +also this story is (probably) not done; i mean i still have plans for it, but I don't know if you lovely readers would like me to put those plans into motion :))))