The Hot Girl

The light flooding into Kai's room stung his eyes in an unnatural way. It was too bright; too crisp... unnatural. Daring to open his eyes, he stared at his room, wondering what kind of prank Thorne had pulled on him now. It wouldn't be the first time.

During their first week of being roomies, Thorne had somehow snuck into Kai's room while he was sleeping and covered the floor in red plastic cups. It had taken much longer than you would think to get out of the mess, and Kai had barely made it to class on time.

Kai had also played pranks on Thorne, but they weren't nearly as massive or creative. He had zip tied Thorne's scissors and dipped onions in caramel, but never come close to an epic prank. For instance: Thorne seemingly able to move Kai into a new bedroom. Kai was a heavy sleeper, but this place looked awfully similar to a prison.

No; Kai had never actually been to prison, he had just been obsessed with the documentaries in his adolescence. The room was too clean and tidy, and Kai was beginning to wonder where the heck he was, until it all came back.

Drowning in the memories and sudden pain, Kai gasped. The crash, the fire, the girl burned alive. Kai coughed, his lungs still burning from all the smoke inhalation. He looked down at his arms to see bandages covering them, and knew he had some gnarly burns underneath.

There was an IV in Kai's arm too. Most people would try and yank theirs out, but Kai was too squeamish. So he sat there, and waited. And waited. And then waited some more. It was agonizing to stay there, and Kai wondered if anyone even knew he was there. Maybe he would have to yell for help or press a mystery button.

After Kai had become an old man, a nurse came in. She smiled when she saw him and Kai smiled back. He usually received this reaction from females he encountered. Kai had always had a few women chasing after him. His mother had constantly told him that it was because he gained his looks from his father.

The smile slid off his face like jelly at the thought of his mother. He tried not to think of her, but it was hard. When she had died, Kai thought his entire world would end. It was the one period within Kai's life where he hadn't been happy.

The nurse walked over to Kai, and he read her name tag; Nainsi. She was a pretty woman, with dark hair pulled into a knot at the top of her head, a kind face, and a curvy profile.

Nainsi began questioning him on how he felt, and told him what had happened after the accident. Apparently, the red car lady's name was Levana Hayle. Her story was that her car had slipped across the ice, though they would need a statement from Kai, once he had recovered. He was the only witness at the site of the accident.

The other girl didn't have a name. Well, she obviously had a name, but she was in a coma, and her fingers were so burned that they couldn't get a readable print. They had taken her license plate in and were expecting to get a name within the next hour.

Kai felt relieved with the knowledge that the burned girl was alive. Nainsi told him that they were quite certain that she would live, but she would have to lose her left leg from the knee down, and wouldn't have any feeling along her whole left side.

Burn girl was still in operations at that moment, and wasn't expected to be out for at least another half hour. They didn't know how many surgeries she would need in order to go back to an almost regular life, but the doctors thought it would be best to start with the big stuff.

Apparently, Kai had only been out for less than an hour. Nainsi told him that his body had gone into shock, and decided it would be best to reboot. He only needed to stay in the hospital a few more hours, before he would be cleared to leave, though he was expected to make a statement with the police later. She also told him that his father was going to come and visit him shortly.