Lemuralia Phantom

Silence fell across the room like the light snow falling outside the cozy apartment window. Kai stared at Cinder with sullen disbelief, and Cinder gazed right back at him. Cress was glancing between the two of them, her head twisting back and forth so fast that she looked as if she were seizing.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Kai asked, coming out of his stupor. "What does..." Panic began to rise inside Kai's chest, his breathing quickening and eyes burning. "How could that-"

"Kai," Cinder cut across, her eyes wide and frightened. She flashed a worried look at Cress, but Kai didn't even notice. "Kai, let me explain." Cinder tried to reason. She attempted to stand from the armchair, but grimaced and remained seated. Kai didn't even flinch at her pain; his mind was too troubled.

"What is there to be explained?" Kai was almost yelling. "I... I don't understand!"

"Kai," Cress snapped, getting to her feet. "Calm down." With that, Kai began to laugh. It was the gurgling kind of laughter that took place right before someone died. He sounded like a crazed man, and he knew it- he just couldn't help it.

"I-"

"NO!" Kai was yelling now, and he wasn't entirely sure why. It was a simple question; one that could be answered with either a yes or no, but for some reason it set him off. Both the girls flinched back at his outburst. Cinder looked hurt by Kai's words, but he didn't much care at this point. He was done with her lies. He didn't want to hear any more of her myths. He knew that she wasn't prone to sharing the truth, so why should he believe her now? If ghosts were the best excuse she could come up with for why she killed Peony Lihn and Ran Kesley, then maybe she was an outcast for a reason.

"Kai," Cress scorned, her cheeks were red with fury, but Kai was done with Cinder Lihn. He didn't care about the beautiful angel with too many demons to continue her reign of glory. There was a reason why angels fall, and Kai was only just starting to see Cinder's. "Kai, hear us out."

"No," Kai affirmed. "I've tried to hear you out. I've asked, practically begged you to tell me the truth, Cinder. I sat by your side and gave you every opportunity in the world to explain what happened to your mother." Kai's breathing was ragged, and his fury was beginning to cool into betrayal. "I fought for you when everyone else turned their backs on you. I thought that I..." Was falling in love with you. "I thought that you were my friend."

Kai didn't know what he was expecting in response to his argument-- maybe tears and an abrupt apology followed by the truth. But he should have known better; Cinder never cried.

"You think that you've been there for me?" Cinder sneered. "Well, news flash: you've known me for less than three weeks. You don't know me, and there's a reason behind it. I didn't tell you the truth because I didn't want you to die like the others!" Cinder choked on the words, grief making her body shake.

"And I didn't tell you about my mother because it hurt too much. You of all people would understand that." Cinder's voice was brittle, and her face softened as realization hit her. She knew exactly where to hurt him, and it was all Kai's fault for showing her his weaknesses. "I'm sorry."

"No, you're not." Kai whispered. Tears rolled down Kai's cheeks in fat hot drops, and he wasn't sure whether they were angry or sad. He absolutely loathed Cinder in that moment. "You're not sorry, because you love hurting people. You must be a sociopath!" Kai laughed bitterly. "You lie to all of your friends and kill the only people who love you. Stars, Cinder, are you even human?"

The words were a surprise to everyone in the room, including Kai. He instantly regretted saying them, especially after one single tear slipped from Cinder's eye. Cress looked at Kai as if she were staring at a stranger.