The heart knows

I ducked lower, seeing the blade rush across my face made my blood boil. The sword shimmered in the summer sun which blinded my opposition. My chance was now, I stopped the blade with mine and spun around, confusing the other. I kicked my leg up and hit the sword out of their hand. I then took the chance to pounce. I flipped their body by kicking their legs to loose balance, and soon I was on top of them, my sword at their throat.

My breathing was hard. The little dots of sweat covered by forehead felt hot and sticky.

"Very good Rose" my father said, he walked over to me and helped me up. "You will be a jewel on the battle field." He finished. Today I had my father watching me to see if I was ready.

I flinched at the words knowing that the battle field would most likely be the death of me, but my father depended on me to win it. So I will.

"Father I have been thinking about what you said a-"

"And you have decided to consider?" He butted in, smiling. "Very good, I will arrange the surround-"

"No father... I have decided to decline, I will marry for love" I said my voice was soft and gentle, I wanted to give my father the impression I did not want to fight about this. All the palace guards and maids stuck there heads out from their positions. Everyone knows that in the royal family, you do not marry for love, you marry for power.

I calmed my breathing by taking my hands out of their gloves and letting the breeze intertwine in and out of my fingers. Never had I loved the breeze so much.

"I-I beg you pardon?" My father said taking a step closer.

"I will not marry, only for love!" I shouted a little and took a step closer to him. Still being smaller then him I knew that he got the better position in this argument.

"You will marry, whether you love him or not!" He said pointing a finger at me. I saw anger and frustration in his eyes. He breathed out a hard breath and took a step back. He knew he had made his point in my head, so he walked away. But he was wrong, the only point he made was to make me try harder.

****

My cheeks were burning, my neck was hot, my body was stubborn and stiff, my shoulders where tight. I was furious...

My father has no right to keep me locked up inside the palace gates, working me hard, training me. Not only for war but for royalty. I was next in line for the throne, it was important that I survived the war so I could come back and rule. But I knew that the war would end me. I knew that it was brutal beyond our gates. I knew that the war was harsh, and while the palace army was training people from the villages below were fighting out war. The kingdom of Denvorn has decided to break away from Kingdom Thornton traditions. They have become their own kingdom. While my father is not happy and says if they want to break away from the traditions they must leave in a fight. As King Denvorn has always been one of My fathers greatest allies, this war has created great stress for him.

"Olivia!?" I cried from my room.
Olivia walked in a and gasped when she saw me packing my horse packs.

"What in heavens name do you think your doing?" She said. Olivia was a sweet old lady who has served me from the moment I could open my eyes. She was the mother I never had, she cared and loved me as if I was her own. She lost her boys at war so she was never keen for me to go.

"I'm going to the castle..." I said looking up at her with a stern face.

"Your the princess you already live in the castle." She laughed sarcastically, she new what I was talking about. I had mentioned his before. I put my hands on hers and took them up to my heart.

"Not this castle." I said and I saw her nod, she knew why I was going.

"But Ro-"

"Do you feel that?" I said putting her hands on my metal chest plate.

"Even through my chest plate you can still feel the beat of my heart,it's because it knows what it wants Olivia... I'm going because I know I will be able to blend in with the guards. I will be able to gather information and then report back to the palace their plans. Maybe if my father understands that I am strong enough without a husband, then I could reconsider..." I said calming my breathing. There was a long silence.

"You always were a fighter..." she said putting my hands on her cheek. The room suddenly felt larger the usual, like it was just us in the world.

"I'll cover you... but I will only say that I do not know where you are. I am not going to make up a story." She said smiling. I smile back at her, only realising at that moment how much she meant to me. I jumped into a hug and took in her warm kitchen scent.

"Thank you, I will always love you..." I said to her kissing her cheek. I moved my hands from hers and picked up my horse pack. Putting it over my shoulder. I snuck out of the castle being quick and silent on my feet, to the stables. The time was midday so the palace was either in the dining room or below having lunch. I hooked my pack onto Bowrider my horse and got on him. I double checked my pack.
-food
-water
-spare clothes
-sword
-daggers
-money
-my mothers lucky bracelet

I had everything. I looked back at the castle. Everything I had known about the world was behind these walls and now I was meters away from leaving that. I saw Olivia standing against my window. I waved at her knowing she was probably crying. I held strong and kicked Bowrider and he trotted along the cobble paths. I reached the gates and kept my face hidden underneath the Cloke I had on.

"Gathering food for the king..." I said and the guards let me out. As soon as the gates closed behind me I threw the hood off and bolted into the woods. I felt the wind rush through my hair making my eyes dry. Never had I been out side the walls. If father could see me now. I Kept bolting through the forest until I came across the Thornton Village, I let BowRider have a drink and I sold my cloak for a better one. Green velvet...

"Here you go my lady." Said the shop keeper.

"Oh no please call me rose." I offered.

"I wouldn't dare" and she pointed to the badge on my chest plate. It had the sign of royalty. Meaning anyone new I was not your average town girl. The look I was hoping to achieve. I took it off and ripped it into little pieces. Throwing them into the fire.

"Rose..." I said holding out my hand. She took it gratefully and gave me a pin, it had the sign of peace. She knew what I was doing.

"Thank you." She said "try and finish it..." I took he pin and walked out of the stall waving to her. I got back to Bowrider and started again on my journey.

Kingdom of Denvorn here I come.