Chapter 1: Before the War

A/N: This is my first fanfiction, so I hope it pleases you! I will try to write as often as possible; I'm actually dedicated to this story. There is some language and there will be scenes in the future. I'll post the word count for every story (this excludes the POV transitions) along with the song for the chapter (I plan on making a playlist at some point on YouTube). Thank you, and enjoy! 

Word Count: 1, 333          Song: "Threads" - Izzard & Blankts

---:---:---:---:---

Merlin's POV

I tend to Arthur while the night moves on. Morgana's forces are expected to arrive here at Camlann tomorrow. Arthur wanted the army of Camelot to be ready and waiting for the army of Morgana. "Merlin." I hear Arthur call.

"Merlin. Are you okay? You look troubled." Arthur stands from his chair and walks over to me. He leans against the table in his authoritative fashion, looking into my eyes with his blue sea of concern.

"Arthur. I'm afraid." I can't embellish it, it's the truth. "I... I need to tell you something important. I understand if you hate me and want to get rid of me, but I-" I can feel the tears dropping down my check. Tonight may be the last night with him, and I want Arthur to know that I have magick. I want him to know that I've used magick to try and save his life many a time.

"I don't want to lose my best friend... I don't want to lose you." I couldn't do it. I can't do it. I don't want to break his heart the night before a big battle and have his mind distracted. I break down, completely lamenting over the possibility of Arthur's demise.

"Thank you for the faith you have in me, Merlin." Arthur retorts, trying to lighten the mood, trying to be his usual prat-but-funny self. When that clearly doesn't work Arthur moves over to me and holds me in his arms.

Arthur's POV

I never thought Merlin was capable of this level of sadness; always a smile on his face, even when he's crying. "Thank you for the faith you have in me, Merlin." I jokingly say, but it doesn't change anything. I feel awful, and so I instinctively throw my arms around him. Why? I don't really know. It just felt like the right thing to do. It feels nice, his head resting on my chest.

"Merlin," I wipe the stream of tears away with my thumb. I can feel my own eyes clouding over with tears, but I have to remain strong for Merlin. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I promise. I've never meant any of those terrible things I've called you in the past... clotpole." I can feel him manage a small chuckle and a smile. "Merlin, I-" I get interrupted by Percival entering the tent. Merlin and I both jump back.

"My apologies, sire. I didn't mean to interrupt your poetry." Percival clearly looks flustered, his large body awkwardly shifting, his face red while he tries to stifle a laugh. "Scouts have nothing new to report. My apologies, again, sire." I glare at him. I'll have to remember to scold Leon later.

"You're alright, Percival. Continue on with your duties, but make sure to get rest." I nod at him to take his leave. Percival returns the gesture and exits the tent. I turn my attention to the shrunken figure of the best friend I know,

"Merlin, everything will be okay." His eyes are rimmed red from crying, the tear stains can clearly be seen. I really don't think everything will be okay, I just have this gut feeling that I won't come out of this alive, but I can't let Merlin know that. "You've done a lot for me over the years, Merlin. Let me attend to you tonight. I'll draw you a bath, cook fo-"

"Arthur, you can't cook. I appreciate the gesture, but I'll be fine. It's my duty to serve you, and I expect nothing in return." Merlin composes himself in a sense of false collectiveness.