Chapter 5: Home

Words: 1, 719                                     Song:  "Home" - Daughter

Gwen's POV

I stand over the battlements of Camelot, each day I come here awaiting Arthur's return. Gaius left yesterday to make sure everything was okay and promised to have returned by now. I fear for what may have happened. There's a light fog this chilly morning, dew covers the grass before the walls like the moisture in the air clings to my breath. "I knew I should have worn a coat over this purple dress." I say to myself while I rub my arms to calm the goosebumps. The people of Camelot are starting to grow worried about their king has not returned, and I share this feeling. It's been over a month since Arthur left for the battle, and though I am not too understanding of war, that feels too long. I turn away from the battlements and head down into the lower town to visit the people. Yes, I am now queen, but that does not mean I do not know the people that helped me. Arthur lacks in showing himself to the people of Camelot, though he is kind to them. I think interacting with them is much better than leaving them in the trail of my dresses. I walk over to a little girl selling flowers.

"Hello there! How much for these flowers?" I gesture to a bouquet of Princess Irene and Ronaldo tulips.

The little girl giggles. "They're free, m'lady. Are they for someone special?"

"Since they're free, I'd like to gift you something in return," I pull out some gold and put it on the stand next to her. "and they are for someone special."

The girl giggles again and hands me the bouquet. I smile and thank the girl before I walk back towards the Citadel. I stare up at Arthur's chambers from the courtyard, missing his gaze that would meet mine when I looked up.

I go up to my room and place the flowers in the vase. I don't have anyone to give them to, but I think Merlin might enjoy them. I smile at the thought of Merlin. I was his first friend here in Camelot, I watched him change over the years as he worked for Gaius and Arthur. I know Merlin likes Arthur, and I'm okay with that. I liked Lancelot and Arthur, so I understand that love is a complex thing, and I know Merlin means no harm. Reality hits and I realise Merlin may not be coming back, that my best friend is lying with my husband in a field and Morgana's army is approaching Camelot. I shake my head to clear these thoughts and look back out the window to the courtyard and beyond, and there is still no sign of Arthur. My internal lamenting is interrupted by a knock at the door.

"M'lady," my maid Delyth walks in, "you have a meeting in the Council Room."

"Right, I completely forgot. Thank you." I walk towards the door but stop mid-walk. I take a flower from the vase and give it to Delyth. "You're an amazing servant and confidant, Delyth. Have this as a token of appreciation."

"Thank you, Gwen." She smiles and takes her leave. I begin down the many halls that lead to the Council Room. I'm stopped when I am a few turns down by Delyth.

"M'lady, the army has returned!" Delyth says in between her breaths from running to find me. I stand at her, shocked, as I process the words. I couldn't believe it. I start running, faster than I have ever run before. I glance out a window as I run and see the sea of red capes swarm the streets of the lower town. I start running faster, flying down the stairs and hallways until I reach the courtyard.

I watch the gates of the Citadel for Arthur to come through. Minutes pass and I grow impatient, I turn my back when I hear horse hooves pounding the cobblestone. I look back to see Percival and Leon rushing into the courtyard, smiles on their faces. I gasp and run over to them as they dismount off their horses. I greet them with a tight hug, tears streaming down my face.