Nine

Peter dropped Gardenia off on the opposite side of the island. He set her on a ledge in a grassy field. The sounds of waves kissing the rocks below could be heard. She couldn't help but glance over the cliff, seeing the deadly waters. Shivers went down her spine at the thought of falling into the ocean.

"Peter--" She yelled fiercely, but cut herself off. He was gone. She looked around, groaning. How dare he leave her.

Gardenia took a deep breath, calming herself. "I can do this," she said. "Just breathe."

With that, she started walking. She'd no idea where she was, all she could see were the huge plants. The grass was even long and big. It made it up to her ankles. Gardenia scratched her ankles, taking a step forward to the humongous jungle. She dived right inside, going without a care.

The forest was marvelous. There were many climbing trees, giant leaves that could catch her if she fell. The smell of pine and soil was calming to Gardenia as well. Maybe she would find her way back. All she needed was to find a path or something that hinted to her she was near camp. Though she wouldn't mind staying lost in the forest for a bit. So she wandered.

Gardenia went off in the opposite direction of camp. Of course she'd no clue, but she was getting further away. She could feel something calling for her. It was like she could hear the trees whispering in the soft breeze. As if they were telling her something.

Follow the breeze. Follow the shadows. Follow the leaves.

Gardenia could hear them whispering. Actually whispering those sentences over and over. Strange because that had never happened to her before. So she listened to them, following the breeze. Maybe they were helping her find her way back.

"Thank you," she grinned happily at the large, overbearing trees.

Someone was listening! Could it be true? Have they returned?

Gardenia found it weird how she could legitimately hear the trees talking. None had mouths on their fronts. Or eyes and ears. But she could hear them talking. She also found it strange how they seemed spooked to her response. As if they didn't know she was listening. Though she continued to follow the wind.