Eighteen

Gardenia had been on the island for a while now. She had grown used to all the Lost Boys, learned all their names. Still, some of them treated her unfarily. Mostly Felix and his two minions, Rufio and Dewdrop. Everyone else grew used to her. However Peter was growing antsy and inpatient. He still hadn't cracked a single thing about her past.

"Mother?" Baine waddled up to her. "Why do you call Pan by his... other name?" He refused to say Peter, knowing that he would be punished if he said it.

"You mean Peter? I don't know, I've always called him that. Why does everyone call him Pan?"

"Because!" He exclaimed, his eyes widening. "That's what he goes by! No one calls him the other name. We get in trouble if we do. He puts us in the cages."

"Cages? That doesn't sound fun. Maybe I'll start calling him Pan, too." she grinned, ruffling his hair.

Baine ran off, signaling that that conversation was over. Gardenia only shrugged and walked elsewhere. She was getting used to the island, getting used to nature talking to her. They helped guide her around the island, and she even found a nice place when she wanted to be alone.

"Pan, what are those?" Gardenia asked, looking up at the sky. There were huge gloomy clouds making their way to Neverland.

Peter snapped his head up to look at her. He tilted his head. "Did you just call me Pan?"

"Well yeah, Baine just told me that you get in trouble if we call you Peter... Might as well get used to calling you Pan," she stated the obvious, a little confused.

Peter scrunched up his nose and eyebrows. He did not like it at all when she called him Pan. He didn't know why, but it bothered him a lot. "Call me Peter. I don't like it when you call me Pan. Doesn't sound right."

She held her hands up in defense. "All right, Peter."

Peter looked up at the sky, answering her question. "Ah, looks like a storm will be coming tonight."

Peter took in a deep breath, inhaling the moist air. Instead of the usual bright blue skies and white puffy clouds, dark ones smothered it. Not a hint of blue was to be seen for miles.

"Storm?" Gardenia looked up at him. She was beginning to make lunch for everyone. "Just rain, right?" It was obvious that she was uneasy.

"Along with thunder and lightning. Why? You scared, Little Flower?" He smirked at her, caressing her cheek. She swatted his hand away.

"No." She said too quickly, giving away her fear. Peter laughed on the inside. Tonight will be fun. How will his little subject react to a huge thunderstorm?

As lunch passed, Gardenia went to take a walk in the forest. She needed alone time. Once discovering a little escape place, she took walks more often. She thought she was alone, when in reality, Peter was listening. Listening to her conversations with herself, listening to where she was going. If only she knew he was trying to pay attention to her every move. She'd often talk to herself, but it sounded like she was talking to her mother. Even though the girl truly did lose her mother at a young age, she did remember how much the woman cared for her. When in times of trouble or stress, she'd talk to her, as if she were actually there.

"Momma? I don't know what to do... There's supposed to be a thunderstorm tonight. How can I trust these boys in taking care of me tonight? Hell, I know they won't. They'll probably laugh and sneer at me. I'm so scared, Momma. I don't... I don't know what to do. I wish you here to make everything better. I feel so small and helpless here..." Her peace was disturbed when a twig snapped. Her head whipped around towards the sound. Felix, Rufio and Dewdrop stood there.