Chapter 20

Evening was approaching fast as the skies turned close to a slight darker shade of blue. Sneaking a glance around the corner of the manor's corridor, Adelaide silently made her way towards the stairs that led up to the attic where Jenny had mentioned to her earlier. She slowly tiptoed up the carpeted stairs, soon reaching the wooden door with carvings of vines of flowers on it. The door creaked slightly as she pushed it open, revealing a site she had not seen the last time she stayed in her family's manor.

Everything was neatly placed, with boxes stacked together to form towers. Her eyes lingered around for a while when she came to a sudden halt. Her eyes stopped onto a bright yellow box with huge pink ribbon on top. The box that held all the defence she needed to overcome the problem she was facing currently. Quickly on her feet, Adelaide crouched down and blew at it. The dust covering the box before flew away in frenzy as she coughed a few times, flinging her hands in front of her face.

She grinned to herself. Adelaide quickly grabbed the box in her hand and made her way towards the door. She quickly descended the stairs, advancing towards her father's study before anyone could see her. The study was the safest place for her so far as she knew Tarzan won't be using it anytime soon. The music room which was located in the east wing of the house was currently being used as his classroom, making it easier for Adelaide since the study was located in the opposite wing.

Just as she was about to raise the lid of the box, a few knocks on the door halted her from doing so. Her head snapped towards the door, with a slight frantic look on her face. She needed to solve this problem on her own without dragging others into her tangled up mess. Everyone had enough on their plate already, and the last thing she wanted was for her muddle to distract them from their main focus – which is to expose Keiran von Heiden and restore Tarzan's rights to his deceased parents' fortune and title.

"Just a minute!" She belted out, quickly moving the box onto the floor.

With one last look, Adelaide quickly pushed the box further into the empty space below the huge study table. The room which was specially made to occupy the users' legs was big enough and lucky for her, the space was very well hidden by shadow as it went further inside.

She took in a breath, and welcomed the person on the other side of the door. "Come in."

Claude's head popped out from the side of the door. A goofy grin was glued to his face as he entered the study before shutting the door behind him. He then took a few steps, reaching the desk where Adelaide was leisurely seated.

"Hey. I've been looking for you." He uttered. "What are you up to?"

Adelaide shook her head and gestured with her hand, signalling him to take a seat across of her. "Just thinking of my father. How he spent his time here when he's not spending it with his family."

"Oh, about that."

She frowned.

"I know it's late to say it, but... I'm sorry for your loss. The tragic accident that happened years ago was very unexpected, and to see them leave the world so soon was just... saddening." He continued.

"It's fine. God always has His own way in handling things, and my parents were no exception to the fate He had decided for us." She cracked a small smile, not quite reaching up to her ears. "Anyway, is there anything of importance you needed to tell me about?"

Claude nodded, "There is, actually."

Adelaide watched him silently as Claude took out his hand out of his pants' right pocket. The small frown was etched on her face when Claude set the dangling keys onto the table right in front of her. The keychain shaped that of Netherland's map shined under the dimmed light of the study.