chpr. 5

Later that night, John was sitting in his chair reading, Sherlock was staring intensively at him. He could feel his eyes deducting him and it was distracting him immensely.

"Sherlock, stop staring at me", John scolded, without looking up. Sherlock smiled and kept staring.

"I'm not", he said. John looked up.

"Liar".

Sherlock half-smiled.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I'm not", Sherlock denied, trying to contain his smile.

"No, seriously what is it?" John laughed.

"Nothing, John. Go back to your book"

John rolled his eyes and continued to read. After a little while, he heard Sherlock laughed quietly. John sighed and looked up.

"What? Sherlock, what are you laughing at?"

"I'm not"

"You ARE"

Sherlock snickered. "I'm not"

"Quit it!"

"I'm not doing anything", Sherlock laughed.

Sherlock thought for a second and seemed to find something amusing because he suddenly burst out laughing again.

"SHERLOCK!"

"You? Why would you...?" Sherlock managed in between laughing.

John smiled hesitantly. "What?"

"Nothing, John. Nothing at all", he laughed.

"Did you just giggle?"

Sherlock stopped laughing. "No"

John grinned. "Yes you did"

"No, John. I didn't"

"Don't worry, it was a fairly manly giggle", John said and went back to reading. Sherlock looked at John, confused and slightly stunned. Then he remembered what happened the other night, and he flushed bright red. John looked up again, sensing the change of tension in the air.

"Sherlock, are you alright?"

"Yes"

"Oh, you look a little red. Are you sick?"

"No"

John furrowed his eyebrows and put the book face down on the arm of his chair. He stood up and walked over to Sherlock, placing a hand on his forehead.

"You're very warm. You should probably go to bed"

"Probably", Sherlock mumbled. His eyes fixed on John's, his heart racing. John seemed to remember that he was still touching Sherlock because he quickly pulled away and blushed a little. Sherlock shifted uncomfortably under John's gaze, suddenly self-conscious. John knelt down in front of Sherlock, who was still sitting in his chair, so that they were at eye level.

"Sherlock, are you sure you're okay?"

Sherlock nodded.

"I'm worried about you"

"Don't be. I'm fine, I promise", Sherlock said, and smiled slightly.

"Good", he laughed. They stared at each other for a little longer than necessary, then John stood up and walked into the kitchen. "Tea?" he called.

"Of course", Sherlock replied.

That's when he realised, he was in love.