chpr. 7

John jumped at each and every loud noise that came from Sherlock's room, glass smashing and loud thumps. He was obviously chucking a tantrum. He began to cry again, knowing that he had caused it. Sherlock didn't get to kick him out, or break his heart. Is this what it's like? Being in love? Well it sucks. Why doesn't Sherlock love him? He laid down on his bed, and eventually fell asleep.

Sherlock woke up late at night. His head hurt, and his mouth felt dry. His begrudgingly rolled out of bed and stood up, shuffling to the kitchen to get water. When he saw John sitting at the table, cradling a cup of tea in his hands and another sitting across from him, staring ahead and deep in thought, he stopped.

"Sit", John said, without looking at him, gesturing to the chair in front of him. Sherlock sat down and touched the mug now in front of him. Stone cold. He must have been here for a while.

"John, I..."

"No. It's okay. I know what you're going to say"

"I'm sorry", he mumbled, starting into the cold tea.

"I understand"

"I didn't mean to"

John raised an eyebrow. "Yes... you did"

"Okay I did, but I don't really want to"

"Then why are you?"

"I can't help it"

"I know. I'll be gone by tomorrow"

Sherlock looked up, panicked. "No! Please don't leave. I'll get over it, we'll never speak of it again, I promise"

"No, it's okay, I'll go"

"Please, stay"

"I thought you wanted me to leave"

"What? Of course I don't want you to leave. You're the one who wants to leave"

John shook his head. "I don't want to go"

"Then... why did you say you're going?"

"Because you want me to"

"No I don't"

"Oh... then what were you going to tell me this morning?"

"I... thought you knew... and you wanted to leave because of it"

"What is it?"

Sherlock blushed. "I... err... that is... I mean... I'm not sure how... um..."

"Spit it out, Sherlock"

"I... just wanted to let you know... to inform you... officially... that..."

"Sherlock!"

"Yes, John?"

"Get on with it"

"Right... err... I... think that... I mean... I know that... I'm...", Sherlock sighed, "I'm falling for you, John"

John kept his facial expression neutral, even though his heart was beating at a million miles an hour.

"Sherlock?"

"Yes, John?"

"Is this an experiment?"

"No!"

"...because it's a very cruel one"

"I promise it isn't"

John let himself smile. "Good"

Then he reached over, grabbed Sherlock by the collar of his dressing gown and kissed him, running his hands through his hair, messing it up. When he broke it off, he grinned.

"I've always wanted to do that"