Sixteen

Hey guys. This chapter might be short like the last one, just because it is late, I have school tomorrow, and I'm exhausted. I've basically decided on calling the duet "Complete", thanks to one persons feedback. Jjewel0610 Anyways, I am thinking about changing my updating schedule to every other day. I also would like to recommend one of my friends' stories. Ollie1207 . I hope you enjoy this chapter!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Katelyn's P.O.V.~
Music class the next day is outrageously boring. I already have a duet to use for the project. Luckily for me, my friends, Ashley, and Kayla, are also done. We mess around and talk for the whole class. After what seems like hours, the bell finally rings, and I walk out the door, only to find Shawn standing right there. He has been keeping close tabs on me, especially since my brother is paroled tomorrow.

"Are you my bodyguard now?" I ask sarcastically.

"I know, I know. I just want you to be safe," he admits.

"I understand. It just shows me that you care. Thanks for caring," I respond.

"Always, Princess."

We walk to my locker with his arm on my shoulders. We earn a few whispers from the students in the hall, but we ignore them.

  After driving me home, I begin to have an anxiety attack. I'm scared out of my mind that my brother will try to pull something. Shawn cuddles me and tells me everything will be ok. He begins to sing, which immediately calms me, and for once it isn't one of his songs.

(For some reason my copy and paste isn't working, so just pretend that the lyrics of "Live Like A Warrior" are right here.)

  After he sings, I stay where I am on his lap, and just lean into his chest. He wraps his arms around me, and holds me close. Before I know it, he is carrying me to bed.

  The next morning, I take deep breaths to calm myself. We agreed that I didn't have to go to school today. Shawn does his best to keep me calm, even though I know that my brother is walking around somewhere. It makes me feel like there is a rock in my stomach, and like I can't breathe. I'm worried that he will try to hurt someone else the same way he hurt me.

"Umm, Katelyn? Do you know what day it is?" Shawn asks reluctantly.

  "The day that the person who ruined my life gets out of prison?" I say sarcastically.

  "Katelyn, it's your birthday," Shawn says slowly.

"Great," I murmur.

I am taken from my train of thought as I hear a knock on the door. Shawn and I both go to answer it and when we open the door, I am taken by blackness.

*
Shawn's P.O.V.~
When we open the door, I immediately know who it is, because Katelyn passes out into my arms. I gently lower her down, and rest her head on my lap.

"What do you want?" I spat.

"I want to apologize," the visitor says.

"Well obviously, you made her pass out from fear, so maybe you should just leave," I snap.

"I need to apologize. Can I at least stay until she kicks me out? I have permission to be here," the visitor states.

"Fine, but only if she is ok with you staying once she wakes up," I grumble.

"Thank you."

I lead our visitor to the couch, and allow him to sit. I keep a close watch on Katelyn in case she wakes up.

"You have guts coming here," I say.

"Yeah, I know," he admits.

"What makes you think she wants to see you?" I ask sharply.

"I know she doesn't, but what I did was wrong, I've changed. Changing also means that I need to try and right my wrongs. It wouldn't be right if I didn't try."

"Fair enough."

Katelyn stirs, and I rush to her side. Her eyes flutter open, tears immediately streaming from them.

"Why are you here?" She says while trying to sit up.

"I came to apologize for hurting you," he replies.

"I don't buy that."

"I've changed Katelyn. I am truly sorry for what I have done, and I feel guilty constantly."

"Yeah, what you did was wrong."

"I know and I truly am sorry."

"I can't even call you my brother anymore," Katelyn whispers.