Chapter 17

Newt felt Tina freeze. Why did I kiss her? She's going to hate me now. She'll think I'm some sort of creep.

He pulled back. I should just leave. He grabbed his case and turned around. He had apparated them into the little corner that Tina apparated them to when she had first tried to arrest him. He started walking but he felt Tina's hand on her shoulder. He turned around slowly.

"Newt," she said. Her voice was stronger than it had been. It was above a whisper now.

Newt looked at her expectantly. She was staring at his shoes and her cheeks were slightly red.

"Yes?" Newt took a step closer to her. Her blush deepened. 

"Newt, can -- I mean -- I don't know."

Newt smiled at her. "What were you going to tell me back there?"

Tina's blush deepened. Newt saw her lips move but he didn't hear anything. 

"Tina?" Newt said, moving to stand directly in front of her. 

"Newt, do you still love me?"

"Of course I still love you. . . . Hang on, what do you mean by still?"

"Do you remember when you left your case with me while you went to England for your book signing?" Tina asked carefully.

"Yes," Newt said.

"I found the letters from Leta." Newt paled slightly. "I know I shouldn't have read them but I couldn't help myself. Then I found the other letters; the ones you wrote to me."

Newt blushed. "Then why didn't you say anything?"

"Because I thought that you might not have loved me anymore. You hadn't said anything so I wasn't sure and, well, I wanted it to be true . . ."

"So you didn't say anything?"

"I was afraid. I was afraid that it wouldn't be true."

"You should have said something," Newt said.

"Queenie told you I loved you enough times."

"So you do love me?"

Tina looked up for the first time during the conversation. "Yes, Newt. I do love you." She sounded completely confident in what she was saying.

"Then why did you freeze?"

"You mean just now?"

Newt nodded.

Tina blushed slightly. "I was startled. I hadn't expected you to kiss me."

"I'm sorry. I should have asked you. I don't know what I was thinking."

Tina blushed harder. She looked back at Newt's shoes. "Can you kiss me again?"

"What?" She wants me to kiss her?

Tina looked up. "Please?"

Newt set his case down and wrapped his arms around Tina. He leaned forward again and kissed her gently. This time, she kissed him back. 

They pulled back slowly. "I love you, Newt," Tina whispered.

"I love you too, Tina," Newt replied. They stood silently for a few moments, neither of them letting go of the other. Tina had rested her head on his chest and he pressed his cheek against the top of her head.

"Are you ready to go home?" he murmured presently.

Tina nodded. "But I don't want to apparate. I really don't feel like I could do that again right now."