Chapter 2: It's complicated

After English Luke and I run down to the office to collect the welcoming packs for Jamie and Sophie, we walked in silence all the way down. Why did Luke act so weird this morning I thought to myself, I wasn't paying attention as to where I was going and I ended up missing a step, Luke caught me just before I hit the ground his arms wrapped securely around my waist, his grip felt unusually strong like he was reluctant to ever let go. Just as I thought this he steadied me back on my feet however he kept his hands on my waist we stared at each other for what felt like hours, I had never noticed how green his eyes were or how he had this little dent just above his eyebrow... I clear my throat and it's like he snapped back into reality dropping his arms quickly “Sorry... ” Luke looked shaken, almost in shock and by his expression I must have looked the same. He picked up the welcome packs and we walked up to the study room both looking a little flushed, by the time we got to the study room I had recovered from the event on the stairs.

I saw Sophie and Jamie sat by the pool tables talking to each other.
“Hey guys” I announce mine and Luke's presence, at the sound of my voice Sophie and Jamie turn to face us
“What took you guys so long? We were starting to worry that you'd left us” Sophie asked looking at me with her bright blue eyes
“I...Um... ” I don't know what to say
“We had to wait on more packs to be printed, we were 1 down. Sorry. ” Luke says, I shoot him a grateful look he smiles in response
“Oh ok...” Sophie said. I could have sworn that there was a hint of disappointment in her voice but I pushed that thought aside.
“So we usually do the tour of the school first, if you two haven't already gone a wonder yourselves?” I ask
“We got bored so we went a walk, it's a small school compared to our old one.” Sophie answered
Through the corner of my eye I saw Luke's eyes flash with irritation.
“This is one of the finest schools for miles.” Luke said curtly to Sophie, at the same time Jamie also said
“Enough Sophie, this is a fine school it has magnificent character”
Luke relaxed a bit at this.
“Well then, Luke will present you both with your welcome pack and then we'll make a start on the paperwork if that's ok with you both?” I say gesturing for Luke to give them their packs
“The paperwork will take roughly 20 minutes, and then we still need to get your student card photo's so you can enter classes and pass through the halls. Our school takes pride in itself and that means...” giving Sophie a strange look “wearing the correct clothing, we do not have a uniform but we have guidelines in which have to be followed, and if they are not followed it results in detention after school” Luke says, he then turns to Jamie “Football tryouts are after school on Wednesday, you should try out. You into football?”
“Yeah it's a pretty good sport” Jamie replied then took a seat at a table whilst Jamie and Sophie proceeded with their paperwork I asked Luke if he'd come over to our usual seats to talk, he agreed and we went and sat on our usual seats.
“So what's up?” Luke asked me
“I just wanted to ask you if you are ok? You've been acting really strange lately and I just want you to know that I am here for you.”
Luke takes a moment before he replies
“Yeah Al I know you are and you know that I will always be here for you as well, I think it's time I tell you what's wrong with me... Meet me after school at our usual spot?”
School past very quick from then on, before I knew it the final bell had went for class. It was time to meet Luke.

Mine and Luke's spot it a 15 minute walk from school, it was in the middle of the small forest at the edge of Lakemill, we discovered this spot when we were 6 and from then on its always been our special place. Our escape. Until now...