Chapter 6

Lily

I sit in math with Jesse. Occasionally he will chuck something at me teasingly or ask for help with a question. It’s cute really. When the bell rings we walk together aimlessly down the hallway. Then I see him. Tye strides confidently towards us, licking his lips.

“Keep walking,” I mumble to Jesse.

But Tye is standing right in our way with his whole disgusting group behind him sneering at me. Everyone’s staring at us.

“Is this your new boyfriend?” Tye hisses, examining Jesse.

“Yeah, so what?” I mumble under my breath. Jesse’s eyes widen. Oops, I forgot it wasn’t official yet.

“Ah,” Tye chuckles.

“Excuse me,” I glare up at him.

“And what if I don’t ‘excuse you’?” He grins feasting on my frustration.

“Just do it, we don’t need to make a scene,” I try to say calmly.

His eyes turn ice cold and his lips press into a hard line. He grabs my chin and pulls it up so I am forced to look him in the eyes.

“You worthless piece of trash!” He shouts and pushes my head so hard that I fall to the ground. I wince . Tye laughs and turns to walk away. My eyes well up with tears.

“Hey!” Jesse yells.

He grabs the collar of Tye’s shirt and yanks him into the air and presses his back against a locker. Tye struggles for air. Jesse says something to Tye under his breath and then throws him to the side. Tye stands up and scuttles away. I wipe my eyes and Jesse helps me up.

“What the hell was that all about?” Jesse asks concerned.

“We went out for a while that’s all,” I say quietly.

“Messy breakup?” He asks.

“You could say that,” I reply.

“He can’t do that,” He says his eyebrows knitted together.

He wraps his arm around my shoulder and we continue walking.