Chapter 9

Lily

3 months later...

It has been 6 months and I still visit him every day. I made a promise and I can’t break that promise, because I love him. I sit by him watching Ellen when a doctor and a nurse walk in.

“Lily? I’m surprised you wanted to be here for this the family didn’t,” He says.

“For what?” I ask.

“You didn’t know?” he sighs.

The nurse behind him looks like he is about to cry.

“Know what?” I demand standing up.

“Lily the Embers’s have decided to end Jesse’s life support,” He says looking down.

“No!” I protest, clutching Jesse’s arm.

“I am so sorry Lily you have spent a lot of time on Jesse but it isn’t your choice. There is no hope for Jesse and I suppose the family just want to say goodbye and not pray on false hope,” He says looking into my eyes.

“You don’t understand! I... love him, please,” I stammer.

“Lily please say goodbye we will give you minutes,” he says coldly and they exit the room.

I sit on the side of the bed and hug Jesse tightly and sob into his rising and falling chest.

“I will always love you,” I sob.

“Forever and ever,” I cry.

I begin to cry hysterically. I guess the doctor does have a heart because it has been over 10 minutes.

I close my eyes and fall asleep with him for the first and last time.