Prank.

Man this book is so basic and unoriginal but🤷‍♀️

They all stood there, watching their friend storm off.
Bill groaned and kicked a pebble across the muddy ground that ended in a small puddle with a splash.
"Such a juh-jerk! You are!" He screamed after Richie who was already long gone out of reach to hear it. Bill turned and walked back to the logs to sit, "you c-coming? We don't n-need that sack of suh-shit anyways."
Beverly cleared her throat, "guys..." she said, almost whispered. Stan turned to her "yeah?" He sighed.
"We can't just let him leave?" She said looking at Bill, "we need to stick together"
Bill lightly shook his head, and continued to the logs. The other followed one by one with their heads down, except Eddie. "Bev is right!" He suddenly shouted at the others that almost fell like dominoes at the sudden outburst, Eddie sighed "we can't just leave him! Fuck you Bill! And all of you for following him." He yelled, red faced to the point it seemed his head could pop any second.
Bill ran to Eddie and grabbed him by the shirt, "Well muh-maybe you try to go get him, it's clear it's him w-who won't cooperate!"
Eddie felt himself calm down, maybe they were right. Maybe it was Richie who was the problem.

Little did they know that it wasn't just Richie in control of, well, Richie.

Richie pushed his door open, he threw his backpack into the corner and scanned his room. His diary on his desk wide open, with a pen strangely floating over it. He approached it slowly trying to figure out what was happening, as he noticed the text.
"Hello there, Richie! :)" the text said with shaky letters. Richie raised his brows as the pen continued, "aw, you smell scared, don't be. :(" Richie hesitated before smacking the diary closed, hearing the pen snap under it.
He walked backwards until his back hit the wall, he let himself drop to the floor.
Something was wrong, he was surely going crazy.
They all were! All they were seeing was fake, he thought. Maybe a sick prank set up by Bowers.
And without realising it, he cried.
He first really noticed it when the tears hit his glasses as he turned his head down.
And so he stayed for 20 minuts before his phone beeped violently in his pocket.
Eddie was calling, Richie picked up and tried to hide his sobs.

"Richie, please help." Eddie gasped into the phone.
Richie got up from the floor, "w-what's wrong?" He whispered.
He heard the other scream in agony and had to move his phone a little away fom his ears, "Go into the house on Neibolt, 29. The basement, there's a well. Please, Ric-" Eddie's voice choked before hanging up.

They couldn't possibly have arrived so quickly, but Richie was too panicked to realize something wasn't quite right.