Chapter 30-Etta

"Winnie, where have you been?" I asked, accidentally pricking my finger when I looked up from the needlework I was currently working on with Meredith.

Winnie was covered from head to toe in  dirt, and the young boy her age standing beside her was equally dirty. They both looked ready for a nap. Winnie flung herself onto the sofa and the boy sat crosses legged on the floor beside her.

"Jeremiah and I were outside today trying to catch fish in the creek." She flung her arm over her eyes. "But now we're tired and bored."

"Did you catch anything?" Meredith asked.

"Nah, but we hardly ever do, 'cept for a few tadpoles here and there." Jeremiah shook his head.  He tilted his head a little, staring hard at Meredith. "I never seen you here before.  Who is you?"

"Who are you." Winnie flicked the boy on the head, correcting him.

"Ow." He rubbed his head and said indignantly. "I said it right." He scowled at her.

Winnie huffed out a breath, crossing her arms, but a smile was on both of their faces.

Meredith chuckled, "No you haven't seen me here before. I'm Etta's sister-in-law. We came to visit for the summer."

"You gotta come to our place sometime and taste my mama's blueberry pie before you leave. It's the best stuff you will ever eat." Jeremiah closed his eyes, rubbing his stomach at the memory.

"His mama does make some really good pies." Winnie agreed.

Meredith smiled at them both, "I'll make sure to stop by sometime."

"You should probably go and clean yourselves up before Mrs. Foster comes and sees you lounging all over her sofa with your dirty clothes and bodies." I scolded, stoping the conversation short. 

"Yes ma'am." Jeremiah scrambled to his feet, with Winnie in tow.

Meredith returned to her work as did I.  We worked silently for a moment Beltran she spoke up, "He's a cute little boy. Where's he from?"

"The Smith's place down the road," I explained. "He's their only child, and Winnie's best friend."

Meredith smiled at me, "Maybe they'll get married when they're older."

I laughed, "That's a long time from now. It seems unlikely. Besides, it would be the biggest scandal anyone has heard of for years."

"Why?" Meredith looked genuinely confused.

"Well...I mean, Mer, he's colored. No white person has ever married a colored person." I shook my head. "Maybe one day it could happen, but not in these times."

"There's a first time for everything." Meredith said with an air of finality, ending our little brawl.

I still didn't believe her. How could two people like Winnie and Jeremiah ever get married, especially with all of the segregation laws? I shook my head. It just couldn't be done.

A/N
Chapter 30 already?! Honestly, I never thought I would get this far with this story, and it's not even close to being finished! I just feel really connected with my characters and it's been really awesome writing all of this! I hope you are all enjoying reading this as much as I do writing it!

I'm trying to start setting up a story line for Winnie and Jeremiah, so bear with me when it gets slow at times!

Shout outs for this chapter go to

@Anita101989
@CitizenofTheShire
@hanuoluwahpoh
@SimphiweMaseko
@idahmmarena
@JennRed23
@jumaiu

You all are so awesome and I really appreciate you sticking with me and taking the time to read my story!! Love y'all!

As Always
Stay Awesome Possums
Rosanna 🌵🌸🌺