24. My Mother Is Here

"What?"

"I met your mother earlier. She basically told me the same as you, however, she acted a bit weird when she saw me."

My feet scrambled back and my focus was on the ground. "You really meet my mother."

"Yeah, that was what I- Are you okay?"

My fingers began to shake as I glanced around the room. He really met my mother. What did she do? He probably told her that he knew me.

"This is bad," I mumbled as I looked up at the clock. "Really bad." 

I turned my back to them and walked towards the door, however, as it opened, I stopped in my tracks again. A lavender smell swirled around my nose and its aroma shooted adrenaline through my body and right to my heart. Even the normal warm atmosphere the Green Diner owned was gone and replaced with something heavy.  "Mother?" 

"Nina! You need to come home now," she said as she walked towards me, glancing from my eyes down to my leg. "What happened to you?"

"I-I," I mumbled, trying to get as far away from the hot brothers sitting and probably looking from the table. My mother stalked towards me, her eyes looking as if they were hunting. 

As she stepped nearer, the lavender became so heavy that I held my breath. 

I looked into her eyes. They always told me exactly how she saw me. Good-for-nothing-daughter described it very well and if I asked, she would agree without hesitation, but what was she doing here?

"What did you say?" she asked roughly, her hand circling around my arm. "I sure hope you didn't offend me." She pulled me away, not thinking about my hurt leg or the people watching. She just pulled me. 

An uncontrollable wind hit me right in the face as we exited the diner. The tight crip around my arm was beginning to hurt a lot and I bit my lip in pain. What was she doing? "Why are you here?"

"I'm taking you home," she answered as we stopped by our car and she opened the car door for me and signaled for me to get in. I sat down in the uncomfortable seat and leaned back, trying to control my crutches and throw them over on the backseat as easy as Anthony had done it. 

My mother settled in beside me and turned on the car and drove us away from the parking lot and out on the silent roads. "You better tell me why you haven't listened to either me or your father about the Martinez's. We didn't warn you for nothing!"

"Sorry."

I glanced down in my lap, curling my fingers over each other.

"You're sorry? Even your coward of a brother wouldn't have been proud!" She turned briskly, making my body hit the car door. 

The tension didn't really help my feelings to calm down and instead of taking big and long breathes, my eyes started wetting up. Not because of her tone, but because of her words. they had hit me like a sack of potatoes. A very hard sack of potatoes. 

I gulped and crumbled together on the seat. Or at least something there slightly looked like it. 

My mom glanced over at me and I got to see her eyes for a brief moment. As always they didn't hold much sympathy or motherly care. They held nothing. Nothing at all.

"I don't know if it is your father's influence or the school, but you have become too reckless and stubborn and it needs to stop. I ain't telling you this just to bother you."

She drew in a deep breath and tightened her grip on the wheel. "Stay away from the Martinez's, Nina, they ain't good people."

She talked low but I could hear every word as if she had yelled it right into my ear. She was in no position to judge.