3. Hamilton

As soon as Alex had everything he needed, he made his way up to the correct dorm. It wasn't much bigger than the single bedroom that he and Peter shared back home. At the thought of his cousin, Hamilton felt wave of homesickness wash over him

"You haven't been gone for twenty-four hours, shut up," Alexander muttered to himself. 

He threw the suitcase on one of the beds and started empty the clothes inside into the drawers that were built into the bottom of the bed frame. It didn't take all that long so as soon as he was done he decided to set up a stable workspace on one of the desks and set up the programs on his school-provided laptop. 

That didn't take as long as he wanted it to, either. 

Alex glanced out of the single window that was in the room. Despite leaving early, the sky was already a darker orange color. Hamilton ran a hand over his face and groaned. 

"Stable sleep schedules are needed for college," he reminded himself. 

"Oh, great my roommate talks to himself." 

Alexander jumped at the sound of a voice behind him. He quickly took a glance down at the paper that had his roommate's name printed on it. He jumped up to meet the other man with a handshake. 

"You must be Thomas! Alexander Hamilton." He thrust his hand out and smiled proudly. 

"Uhm, right." Thomas hesitantly shook the smaller man's hand. 

An awkward silence followed. It didn't stop for at least forty seconds before Hamilton decided that it would be better to get familiar with the area before he got familiar with his roommate. Or, better yet, get familiar with both at the same time!

"I'm just going to go get some coffee, want to come?" Alex offered. 

"It's almost eight o'clock and you want caffeine?" Thomas threw his bags on the bed. 

"It's never too late for coffee. Besides, decaf is a thing. A completely useless thing, but a thing nonetheless." Hamilton shrugged and went to the doorway. "You coming or not?" 

"Hard pass, thanks." Thomas scoffed and went to unpacking the designer clothes from his bags. Most of them were magenta. 

Deciding that he would probably not like his roommate too much, Alex pulled his used phone from his pocket and dialed the landline that Peter would be using. After one ring, Pete picked up.

"Alexander! How are things? Did you get there alright, have you met your roommate yet?"

"I'm about to tell you if you would let me talk!" Alex laughed at his cousin's enthusiasm. He hopped down the stairs, taking them two at a time in his excitement to explore the area. 

"Oh. Right, speak away.

"Right now I'm on my way to get coffee and get familiar with the area. It's actually pretty nice over here." The orange sky was better from outside. 

"Why are you getting coffee this late?

"That would be because my roommate is a total snob." Alex sighed as he realized that he would be staying with the snotty rich kid all year. "He has all magenta clothes as far as I saw, his hair is bigger than his ego probably, and his name is Thomas." 

"What does his name have to do with the snobbiness?

"Oh, it doesn't. I just thought you might want to know his name. I bet he gets all on-brand clothes." 

"Alex, you literally just met him today. There is no possible way that you know him," Peter whispered like he wanted to say more but that was the only thing that he could put into words. 

"Hey, what's that supposed to mean?" 

"Nothing, but people aren't always as happy, sad, snobby, or poor as they seem. Maybe he's got some horrible life that you don't know about.

Alex was going to respond but his cousin started up again. 

"Hey, I'll call you tomorrow morning, I've got another important call coming in on the other line. Goodnight and be nice to people, got it?

"Is it about Mom?" 

"No, it's not. It's something else. Bye!

Before Alexander could say anything else, Peter hung up the phone. He shut the phone down as he approached the campus coffee shop.