The Feast of Epona

I have found it especially difficult to find information about this beautiful Goddess symbolized by the white mare and worshipped by the Gauls. Since the Gauls became the French, and part of my heritage is French, I have made a particular effort. (I am also a horse freak - its true) I have found two different dates that are supposed to be the Feast of Epona. One is December 20, the other is the Summer Solstice.

So, for myself, I have chosen to celebrate Epona on Summer Solstice. I do have reasons for this. The horses native to the same area as the people of Gaul, do not genetically create a large number of white horses. In fact, I suspect that white mares, while rare, were also most likely greys.

True grey horses are born black or bay and become lighter every year. Mature mares would be white or nearly so. In every matriarchal society I know of, one of the most revered abilities of woman, is her ability to create from her own body, a child completely different from herself, a son. A white mare would most likely produce foals of a dark color, completely different from herself in appearance at birth, though possibly destined to be grey/white as their dam. In Midsummer, the white mare would have a dark foal at her side. She, the perfect symbol of the fullness of life, and the foal an irrepressible reminder of the joys of youth, they feast together on luscious, green pastures...at midsummer.

The sun stands high, sharing his power with his mother earth. All living things that grow between them enjoy power and abundance. The white mare gallops across deep green pasture, black colt playing at her side. The young people leap and dance, while their elders lean back and soak up the suns rays. The Universe is abundant.

 The Universe is abundant