Vijaya Dashami

Wishing My Readers A Belated Happie Vijaya Dashami!!

The Day which comes after the auspicious Sarannavaratris is Vijaya Dasami.
There are many Stories associated with it.

The most important one is the 'Mahishasura Vadha'. Goddess Durga fought with Mahishasura for around 9 days and Finally Exterminated him on the 9th day which we call the Maharnavami.
The day after that is celebrated for the Goddess's Victory as 'Vjaya Dashami'.

Another Story associated with this is 'The Ravana Vadha'. Most People Believe that Ravana, the main Antagonist of the Holy Epic Ramayana is Killed by Lord Rama, the Protagonist on this day. His death is thus celebrated and We call it Vijaya Dashami.

We all know Rama returned to Ayodhya in the first week of the month 'Chaitra', The first month of Hindu Calendar.
So If Ravana was killed on Vijaya Dashami i.e in Aswayuja month, then it should be understood that Rama stayed there in Lanka for the next 4 months which is not the case because he immediately travelled to Ayodhya.

So When did Ravana really die?

Ravana was killed on 'Phalguna Amavasya', The Last day of the Hindu Calendar.

So Why was Vijaya Dashami, the day which comes in the month of 'Aswayuja', the 7th month of calendar is celebrated?

The Reason is , this day marked the Death Countdown of Ravana.This is the day when Rama and Sugreeva sends the army of Vanaras in search of Sita, the day when Rama declared war on Ravana.This is the day where the seeds of Victory are laid, the day where it all started.
----------------------------------------------------------
One of the main events performed on Vijaya Dashami is 'Srirama Pattabhishekha' (Coronation Ceremony). There had been many  Coronations Ceremonys in Ramayana.

Three of them are considered the best of that lot and all three belong to Lord Rama himself.

They are:-

1. Paduka Pattabhishekha
When Rama leaves Ayodhya with his Brother and Wife, Bharata pleads him to come home and Rule the Kingdom. But Rama refuses his request to obey his Father who sentenced him to exile and makes Bharata as a King.

Bharata who was so devoted to Rama says 'He is not meant to be a Ruler and asks Rama for his 'Padukas' (footwear) and performs the Coronation Ceremony for them.
So Until Rama came his Padukas ruled the Kingdom.

2. Devatas Perform Pattabhishekha for Rama
After the defeat of Ravana, the Devatas were overjoyed. They conclude Rama as the Ruler of all the Worlds and perform a Pattabhishekha for Rama in their Minds.

3. SriRama Pattabhishekha
Lord Rama was Crowned as the Emperor after he returned from his Exile to Ayodhya.

Bharata informs that the Empire is now ten times bigger than when Rama left and says Until the Time stops ,Until the Earth is no more, Rama is the Emperor.

Stay Tuned for More
SriRam