Chapter 11: The Long Road

Chapter 11: The long road

Packing for the journey had not taking him very long.  He wanted to travel light so that he could cover as much distance as possible on horseback.  Also, he didn’t want to be recognized so all the cloaks and pieces of armor carrying the Pendragon crest had to stay behind.  A tricky part had been to get Sir Leon away from the banquet for two minutes to expose his plan.  Thankfully, Lancelot had been skulking about in the quieter corners of the castle, avoiding the crowd as usual.  He had therefore entrusted Lancelot with the delicate message.  Arthur had also caught a glimpse of Gwen who was bringing up water to the king’s chambers.  However, he wanted to avoid distractions as much as possible and get on with his quest, so speaking to her, even looking too long at her, was out of the question.  Leaving Gwen in the dark about his intentions took more will than he knew he had.

It was well into the night when he walked out of the stables, dragging his horse, and wearing a grey traveling cloak over his shoulders.  It was going to be a long journey, which was partly the reason why he was not welcoming the presence that he was now sensing behind his back.

“This habit of yours to spy on the Crown Prince could be seen as treason,” he said smartly, knowing full well who he was speaking to.

Wheeling around to face the knight, he realized that he was not only addressing Gwaine but Lancelot as well; both of them had traveling clothes and were pulling horses quietly behind them.

“Don’t look at me like that,” said Lancelot, shrugging.  “He didn’t believe your story from the start.”

Gwaine stepped in front of Lancelot, a smug smile on his face.  “Did you really expect us to believe that you were going into all this trouble to get to Lady Vivien’s chambers?”

Arthur felt his face grow red.  “I had to tell my father something that he would believe,” he said between gritted teeth.

Lancelot had already mounted his horse.  He and Gwaine kept glancing at each other conspicuously.  

“We’re going to Aria’s Cradle, then?” asked the younger knight.

Arthur was shaking his head.  “No; I can’t accept the two of you coming along with me.  I need you to stay here.  My father’s new rule is going to create panic and…”

“Actually it won’t,” said Gwaine, smiling broadly as he was placing his bags on his horse’s back.  When he saw that neither Arthur nor Lancelot knew what he meant, he added, “Your father’s is postponing the date at which this rule is coming into effect until your return.  He feels he will have better support from the knights if you’re here.  When Sir Leon said that you were going away for a while, I thought I may point this fact out to the king and it worked.  Come on, you can say it…”

Arthur looked at the two men who were so wholeheartedly committed to following him and he couldn’t help but feel a deep respect and fondness.  As a prince, he was not accustomed to friendship but this, whatever it was, felt like something of the sort.

“What would I do without you, Gwaine?” said Arthur teasingly.

The knight was on his horse now.  “Besides, nobody here knows more friendly inns than I do.”

“That’s certainly a relief,” snorted Lancelot.

But all three of them were interrupted by another figure, cloaked and hooded, that was now standing close to Arthur.

There was no need to take out his sword.  He knew who it was right away.  Arthur’s heart raced faster.  Had Sir Leon’s lie been heard throughout the castle already?  What would she think of him?